Chapter 39: A Disastrous Dinner

Chapter Thirty-nine: A Disastrous Dinner

Anne (Six Years Ago)

Anne sat at the far end of the dinner table, Clara sat across from her and had been chattering non-stop about the two new Blessings she'd been learning. Anne would occasionally nod at the appropriate times to give off the illusion she was listening, but she was actually trying to listen to what Izeal and her father were discussing so fiercely. Izeal had screamed something about the Outery Final and slammed his fist atop the table. So, of course, she had to listen.

Had something happened to Alise and Edmon on their travels back to their Hold? Oh my, their Hold. She nearly squealed with excitement. Alise and Edmon were so perfect for each other and they didn't even know it yet.

Izeal whispered furiously, tapping his finger on the table. She wanted to ask what they were discussing but she wasn't allowed to speak to them unless she was spoken to first.

"How!" Izeal yelled, half-standing from his chair. "That's what I want to know."

How? How what? She prayed silently to the Life Aria that nothing had gone wrong and both Alise and Edmon were safe.

Gaius waved Izeal back to his seat. "It is concerning, but he's done us an incredible favor."

"And when he comes to collect? Will you roll over like you did for the Brenas?"

"That's different!" Gaius furiously stabbed at the piece of turkey on his plate.

"It's inconceivable!" Izeal rubbed at the bridge of his nose. "How could some young Outery nobleman from a crumbling Hold be the first to know Skylord Lucian was dead and capitalize on it?"

"It is odd."

"Odd is him swooping in and marrying Penshaw's sullied daughter with no care that his firstborn won't be his. But offering his own sister to the Church and making her a proxy lady for the Dawn Hold? That's single-handily the most politically savvy move ever conceived by an Outery nobleman, and it was done without any of our knowledge! Who is Edmon Caisel to have pulled off such a ludicrous feat!"

"Oh," Anne said in sudden realization. They didn't know Edmon, Saphir, and the Dawn Hold's councilmen had acted on her advice.

It had all come together so smoothly, as if it was meant to be. The Life Aria must have stilled the crosswinds for them. When Anne had been summoned to perform her weekly duties at the Church, Arch Priest Vulpin had been so smug. She'd known he would be; this is the first time in over a hundred years that the Church would have such a massive influence over a Hold. He'd bragged to her that the Life Aria had sent a willing servant to the Church and that Priestess Embria would be a symbol of Life's ultimate purity as she protected and guided a young skylord with the Church's wisdom.

Anne had pretended to act surprised when Arch Priest Vulpin directed her to the temple where Saphir Auri and Priestess Embria awaited the princessa to perform the Skylord Enchant. She had also chanted a Blessing of Joy, a Blessing of Good Fortune, and a Blessing of Prosperity. The Arch Priest had given her a small smile as if thinking she was showing support of his decision when she was actually just trying to help Saphir and Embria.

The poor child had lost so much so young. She wanted him to have the best chance to forge at least some of his own life and not feel trapped by it. His future would be full of many difficulties, dangers, and hardships. Anne wanted to provide him with any advantage she could. He'd come to her in his hour of need and she'd helped him. In doing so, she had a hand in shaping his future. Now, Saphir had become a part of her responsibilities.