Chapter Forty-one: The Gates

Anne

Anne yawned, stretching out her legs till they bumped into her luggage. The skycarriage's interior was dark and stuffy, but she'd been warned against opening a window – even for a little fresh air. Commander Brena claimed it necessary to keep assassins from determining which skycarriage she rode in. In fact, she was currently using the Caisel family's skycarriage. It bore the scrollwork crest of the Outery Final on the door and embroidered on the seats – which were far less cushioned than her own personal carriage.

As promised, Aiden had set up security for their trip from the Emperor's Hold to the Remerian Gates. He'd turned off his emotions and was dealing with her departure by throwing himself into his duties. He'd let his professionalism take over entirely – he was being a bit obnoxious about it, actually. But, if this was the only way he could let her go to Remeria, then she'd accept it.

Maybe he wouldn't notice if she peeked through the window for just a moment? With a cautious finger, she cracked open the velvet curtains by just a hair. The night sky was littered with fading stars as the horizon gained color along the edges. The sun was coming and with the dawn, the Remerian Gates would open.

Skyguards hovered in formation around the line of floating carriages. They would eventually be replaced by a hundred Remerians as the surface was left behind. Only thirteen Atrezin ambassadors were permitted to pass their Gates. The emperor had accepted this with grace and had swiftly sent a list of their chosen thirteen who would be a part of this great peace endeavor.

All had seemed to be going well until just days ago when they'd received another letter outlining the Remerian's requirements. To everyone's horror, the Remerians would not allow the ambassadors to bring personal retainers, maids, scribes, scriptists or guards along. Those would count as part of their number.

With that shocking revelation, another emergency meeting had been called to make last minute revisions. It had been difficult for everyone to come to an agreement on the final thirteen. Wevoni had wanted to come, but Anne couldn't reasonably give an important ambassador position to her retainer.

Three representatives from the Interior surrendered their seats, refusing to go without their personal guards and members of their retinue. Many of the remaining representatives from the Interior had demanded the list to be altered to include at least one of their guards or attendants by removing Outery representatives from their number.

Most of the complaints had been quieted when Anne announced she would be dressing herself, and if a princessa could lace the back of her own dress, then the men could lace their own boots. Only Councilman Fain Lithan had continued to protest, even though she'd already allowed him to bring a personal guard. He'd fussed and whined, demanding an Outery representative relinquish their seat for his footman. Councilman Tarus Cloudwalker had loudly announced he'd teach Fain Fumblefingers how to lace up his little boots because none of the remaining Outery representatives would be budged for soft, Interior comforts. It quickly became a heated argument and almost devolved to blows. If Anne and Izeal hadn't been present, fists would have flown.

Aside from a few minor hiccups along the way, the entire operation had come together. For something that should have been impossible, it all passed in a blur of unstoppable momentum, like a large, immovable rock at the top of a mountain that had finally broken free with a single shove from her curious hands. She hoped this momentum kept carrying them forward to a peaceful conclusion and not blood, carnage, and shattered limbs.

Anne took a deep breath, exhaling the fear before it took root in her already fragile heart. Leaning forward, she brushed her hand over the lacquered trunk on the seat across from her. Dark as night and silky smooth – the wood was embellished with decorative golden lines and topped with an intricate painting of a white doe standing in the Gilded River. Her father had been a bit upset with her for picking this box, but Anne wanted to give the trunk to Calden. He was one of the very few people who'd ever beheld her as a Doe – even if he claimed he had not truly seen her in that Blessed form.