Chapter 79: Dark Tidings

Anne

Anne leaned side to side, keeping Calden in her sight as people passed. Daniel cleared his throat again, stepping closer. "There is something happening. You know what it is," Daniel muttered. "I need to know."

Anne chewed at her lower lip. For once, Daniel was right. Calden had pretended to be unconcerned, but judging by the way actual sparks were flying around the Lenwar family, she'd rather be safe than sorry. "Gather Councilman Tarus, Dawn Guard Solan, and Sir Orien of Adders. Tell them I need a word with them about the seating arrangements at the main table."

Daniel narrowed his eyes, even he was smart enough to realize she asked only for the men with military experience. For the first time, he followed her orders without question, gathering those she'd requested, and returning with haste.

"You wished to discuss seating?" Sir Orien asked, his thick black eyebrows lowering as the four men gathered around her.

"There is a situation you should be informed of. I request you not spread this information incautiously. The Azure's forces have been sent to deal with tarmanze on the outskirts of Lucinte."

"That explains why a bunch of Remerians left in groups earlier," Sir Orien commented and the Dawn Guard nodded.

"Prince Calden told me we'd be safe in the castle. He's discussing the situation with his family, and will be right back."

Dawn Guard Solan nodded his head in the direction of the main table. "Since King Abarin is still in the room, I don't think we are under threat, but if he is evacuated from the room, then we'll know the monsters are too close for comfort."

They were taking the news better than she thought they would. "We should wait till we hear more before informing the others. We don't want to incite a panic," Councilman Tarus said, in agreement with Anne's own silent thought process.

"We should gather everyone and take a head count. If there is an evacuation, I don't want anyone to get lost in the confusion," Daniel suggested. After everyone voiced their agreement, Sir Orien and Councilman Tarus went to gather anyone that had wandered off.

The group of Lenwars and their advisors suddenly broke apart, moving in different directions. Kiren and Calden were heading their way, arms swaying as if racing each other to get to the ambassadors first. Anne moved to meet them, followed closely by Daniel.

"Is everything alright?" Anne asked at the same time Daniel asked how close the tarmanze were. Calden held his hands out in a soothing gesture.

"They are on the other side of Lucinte, close to our burial grounds. They won't be given a chance to cause any trouble. A large force was sent to deal with them. There is nothing to worry about," Calden said, wearing a smile that didn't reach his smoldering eyes. He was more concerned than he was letting on, but Anne didn't want to question him in front of her own men and give them any more reasons to doubt Prince Calden's veracity.

"Kiren will show you to your seats at the main table," Calden stated with an abrupt detachedness she'd never heard from him before. She'd seen him get angry, but this was different. Instead of a loud, outward anger, it was the quiet snap of a branch at night that made her want to run.

"What about you," Anne asked, her voice faint.

"There are a few things I need to handle before I join you," Calden said and Kiren's eyes narrowed, clearly unaware of the 'things' Calden was talking about. Not wanting to cause any unnecessary delays for their already harried hosts, Anne followed Kiren without a fuss, gathering her other ambassadors while Calden vanished into the crowd.