Chapter 12: A Welcome Home

Chapter Twelve: A Welcome Home

Calden

Linhan didn't ask any questions as Calden gave him the second half of his promised bribe of twelve gold hawks to be let back through the Remerian Gates and no one really noticed him on his journey back to the Azure Caves, or at least, no one cared enough to comment. Many traveled during this time of year, so no one suspected anything out of the ordinary. Although, he did receive quite a few confused stares, which he ignored to the best of his abilities.

It took nearly twelve hours of travel before Calden spotted the expansive Castle of the King in the distance. It was honeycombed into the massive southern wall of the central Azure cave. Carved stone walls disappeared into the dark blue far above. It was one of the most secure locations in Remeria. No Atrezin had ever breached its walls and he was going to ask the King if he could open the front door for an enemy princessa. Maybe he should just forget this folly.

Sulfur, knowing he was almost home, began a downward descent without being told – airborne travel was not permitted over Lucinte, the capital city of the Azure. For the first time all day, Sulfur landed. The roads around the outskirts of town teemed with activity. Outdoor markets had been erected on almost every street. The smell of roasted chicken, fried bread, and smoke filled the air. Sulfur huffed in displeasure whenever people drew too close. It usually wasn't this crowded, but many stayed in the Azure Caves for at least a week of festivities after The Hunt.

A woman with an eyepatch over one eye hollered at him from a booth that she'd sell him two freshly slaughtered chickens for half price – one rotisseried and the other raw for his steed. Calden kept his head down and face averted, hoping no one recognized him. 

It's a pity he missed the beginning of this year's celebrations. He was concerned about Prusen and if he'd succeeded in catching Marinda. Prusen told them all last week that she might make for an interesting queen one day. 'Interesting' would certainly be a word for it. Honestly, he hoped Marinda escaped his brother's pursuits. He'd rather a tarmanze as his sister.

With all the chaos that came with The Hunt, Calden had planned for his absence not to be noted. His brothers all knew he wasn't fond of The Hunt itself. Usually, he stayed in his quarters with the door locked until the full moon had set, but he'd been gone for almost three days now – far longer than he had intended. Someone had to have missed him and wondered where he was or what he was doing.

If he was lucky, he might be able to sneak into his rooms and avoid any conflict, get a good night's sleep, and apologize for his new mess over breakfast.

The Blue Flame dimmed in the west as he led Sulfur to the stables just within the castle's walls. Calden dismounted and his wobbly legs nearly pitched him over into a water trough. Sulfur trembled with exhaustion as Calden told the stablemaster to see the hardworking tinderhorse fed.

Barely able to walk in a straight line, Calden trudged up the back steps, his hand trailing across the smooth stone railing. The underside of the railing was carved with vicious snarling tarmanze faces. The smell of baking bread and onions wafted in the air. Grimory always left the kitchen window open when she was cooking, otherwise the heat would get trapped in the room. Calden climbed up over the railing and slipped his legs through the open window – the kitchens were his favorite way to sneak in or out of the castle since he was a child.

He wasn't as slight as he once was. In order to get his broad shoulders through the frame, he had to squeeze in at an angle, shifting his weight until he landed silently on the balls of his feet. As he righted himself, he jostled a stack of boxes. One box tipped and fell from the top of the stack. He caught it with both hands, but all the silverware inside fell to the floor in a glitzy cacophony.