Chapter Fifty-Two: A Crowded Table

Calden

Gale had definitely noticed how the princessa curled into Calden's side and how she looked to him, as if seeking reassurance from his presence. Judging by Gale's grin, his brother was planning on cornering him and interrogating him. He would disappoint Gale with lukewarm responses, but Calden didn't have any strong feelings – like or dislike – towards Cezanne. Well, aside from a slow growing respect. She had achieved the impossible. Talks of peace would happen, simply because she'd decided it so.

She smiled sweetly at Gale, her fingers loosening their grip on his. She'd only balked for a moment before stepping forward and meeting the oncoming storm.

Perhaps he'd misjudged her. Calden had thought her a naïve fool when she'd mentioned peace, but how could a fool have succeeded where so many others had failed? She stood at his side, holding his hand, as if it was natural. And now, she was speaking with Remerian princes as if it was the simplest of things, even though no princessa had been to the Depth's since Delilah a millennium ago.

He needed to be more careful. Watch her more closely. As Larken said, she was still their enemy, whether peace is her true goal or not. Emperor Gaius wouldn't have let his daughter wander down into the Depths unless she was sharp enough to cut through the walls that would rise in her path. That gentle, golden-eyed face hid a far cleverer beast than he'd assumed. Even now, as her delicate little hand lay atop his own, her timid smile may be a predator's ploy. What if she was no doe at all, but a tarmanze, dragging an uninjured wing along the ground before turning her furious fangs upon the incautious hunter.

He'd fallen prey to such deceptions before. Never again.

The two Atrezin men introduced themselves as Marl and Daniel. He forced himself to remember their names, repeating them over and over in his head, till they became a discordant melody he could tap his impatient foot to. It was apparent they hadn't come to dinner because they wanted too. They were following Cezanne – bodyguards, mostly likely.

She had made clear to him that she didn't want her guards to know about the Echo. Which meant not only would they have to keep their meeting secret from his family but the princessa's guards too. As someone accustomed to accomplishing the impossible, Cezanne must think he'd make easy work of such a simple task. Tonight, no less.

Unfortunately, her two guards wouldn't be compelled to give them any privacy – they absolutely loathed him. He could tell just from their faces. It was rather entertaining to watch their frustration every time Cezanne got too close to him. Daniel's wrath had been a vicious, icy thing when Calden had whispered into her ear earlier. Even now, Calden was tempted to draw her close again just to watch the impotent fury that filled their faces. But he'd better not tease them too badly, it would make them even more watchful.

As Calden guided Cezanne to the banquet table, her hand tightened on the back of his again. It was rather crowded, usually Calden would just elbow his way through but the princessa might find that a bit uncomfortable.

"Would you like me to help you fill up a plate?"

"Yes, please," Cezanne said, sounding relieved as her two miserable shadows shuffled after them. Men and women quickly parted to let Calden access the table – that was a first. He might actually want to marry Cezanne if it gets him easy access to the banquet table.

"Any preferences?" he asked as she stared down the table lengthwise.

She seemed uncertain. "Could I have the same as you?"

Calden nodded, then slowly began adding food to both their plates. The Duke passed him, carrying two plates and loading them with food, not at all concerned by the grumbling crowd as he flitted through the Remerians to hand the filled plates to Princess Adele and Linn, before finally filling a plate for himself. Marl and Daniel had grabbed plates but dithered about in front of the food without touching anything.