Chapter Thirty: Stupid and Risky

Calden (Six Years Ago)

content warning: just a little heads up, this chapter contains some mildly unpleasant descriptions of infected wounds, so maybe don't read this chapter with your delicious breakfast.

Calden pushed open Larken's ajar door and stepped into the dimly lit quarters. The central room was three times the size of what Calden had been given. It was nearly a perfect circle with a domed ceiling. The floor and walls were inlayed with a complex stone mosaic. It actually was a bit dizzying – Calden much preferred the natural stone walls of his own quarters.

The mosaic murals told the story of Adamort – the first Remerian King. In the very center of the floor, King Adamort stood on an outcropping of stone. A cloak of shadows flowing from his shoulders as he protected the men and women standing behind him from an unstoppable army of tarmanze.

Out of habit, Calden followed the outer ring of triangular tiles. Larken had once said the tarmanze could sense when those of Adamort's bloodline stepped into the stone mosaic and would be compelled to hunt them down. Calden and Kiren had been terrified as children and to this day, the two of them still wouldn't step into the mosaic if they could avoid it.

"Larken? Are you awake?" Calden called, sticking his head down the dark corridor leading to his brother's bedroom. "I'm here to cha –

Cold claws snatched both of Calden's shoulders. With a yelp, he drove his elbow back, but it was caught in a firm grip.

"Yes?" Larken said with a cackle.

"Dammit Lark!" Calden exclaimed, his heart racing.

"Sorry, I couldn't resist. Your back was turned to me and it was too tempting to catch you so unawares. You really need to be more careful, little brother. What if I was a hungry beast that had snuck up on you in the forest?"

Calden furiously shook himself out of brother's grip and crossed his arms. Larken's face was clammy and pale. A spotty beard had grown along his chin and up along his hollow cheeks. His icy eyes were sunken back into his skull, but were finally glimmering with life again. Rounded horns stuck out from beneath his sweaty bangs. His brother hadn't bothered to file his horns down in a while – it's not like he had to entertain anyone aside from his younger brothers.

Calden took a deep breath, trying to calm his heart but the lingering reek of rot caught in the back of his throat and his stomach lurched on instinct. Larken wasn't completely out of the woods yet.

"You're supposed to be in bed," Calden said, tapping his foot on the ground.

"I've been in bed for nearly two years," Larken said, with a crooked smile. "And you are starting to sound more and more like Prusen by the day."

"Prusen is the one who caught me doing nothing and sent me to change your bandages, so I'll give you a stern talking too in his place. I'm sure Kiren and Gale will do the same, they're coming over later to make sure you are presentable. Father needs you at your best to deliver The Hunt's welcoming speech tonight, but after that you can head right back to bed."

"I could head right back to bed, but if I'm going to get dressed up fancy, might as well stay and enjoy the celebration. My people need to be reminded that I have their best interests at heart."

Calden waved his hand. "I'm not your keeper, do as you please. You've never let anyone's concerns stop you before. But if you could find it in your heart to lay down so I can do my job and get out of here, I'd really appreciate it. I want to have some fun today."

Larken clucked his tongue, pushing past Calden and striding toward the bedroom while unbuttoning his shirt. "What happened to my sweet baby brother, he's all grown up now and grumpier than a cave bear in spring."