Chapter Twenty-three: A Far Way to Fall

Anne

Aiden had spoken at great length of her kind acts, her skills in enchanting and her Gift of the Doe. Occasionally, he had given her a supportive smile from across the room. Of the three people who had spoken so far, only Aiden had given her any kind words.

"As all of Artezino knows," Aiden continued. "I am betrothed to Princessa Cezanne and we shall be wed this winter. It is a political marriage but it must have been ordained by the Life Aria herself, for she and I are Fated to be. We complete each other in every way. And I love her, utterly and truly. If my beloved Cezanne says that she is the Voice, then I do not have a single doubt in my mind that she believes she is speaking the truth."

There were gasps in the audience. The support of the Gardeia Hold was huge. This would swing many votes in her favor. "But..." Aiden croaked, dropping his gaze. "That does not mean she hasn't been deceived."

Shit.

Izeal's eyes glowed a poisonous yellow from across the room. She'd failed in truly getting Aiden's support, the Vote really was in the Life Aria's hands now.

"Princessa Cezanne is innocent and easily lead astray by her desire to serve Atrezino. She'd do anything for her country and her people, even at her own expense. Many of you likely wonder, why does she come forward now? And I shall tell you. On the very first night the princessa had returned from near Death, the Heir Izeal had barged into her rooms, against the emperor's orders, threatening violence against me if I stood in his way. And when the princessa was at her most confused and vulnerable, Izeal had spoken with her. Privately and at great length. It is my personal belief that this has all been orchestrated by the Heir Izeal."

Aiden pointed his finger directly at Izeal. "He has somehow convinced our princessa that her survival was a miracle at the hands of the Life Aria, and has manipulated her into thinking she is something that she is not, putting her life and reputation in danger. And, as Knight Commander of the Sky Guard, I will not have it!"

Aiden bobbed his head at the Arch Priest then sat, all without a single look in her direction. No matter, she hadn't expected his support anyways, but that was surprisingly tactful of him. He'd given a far more convincing speech then she had. Izeal and elaborate plots go hand-in-hand, after all.

As Aiden sat another skylord stood, Penshaw of the Golden Hold. His once blonde hair had gone white, wrinkles lined his eyes and curled along the corners of his lips giving him a perpetual frown. He slammed his yagr-headed cane down on the table in front of him loudly, making everyone flinch.

"Princessa Cezanne is the Voice of the Life Aria. This is not up for debate. It is fact," he stated gruffly then sat back down. The Arch Priest cleared his throat.

"Skylord Penshaw, do you care to elaborate?"

"Fine," he barked without bothering to stand again. "Anyone who claims the Princessa is not the Voice of the Life Aria is either a liar," he pointed his cane at Gwery, "ignorant," he swung his cane towards Skylord Resmonil. "Or a moron!" he finished, glowering over at Aiden. "That satisfactory enough for you, priest!"

Penshaw and his eldest son turned to each other and began muttering together while the assembly became a hissing den of snakes. Well, at least Penshaw was on her side. Izeal looked utterly flabbergasted and he wasn't the only one. The Golden Hold has long been rooted in the traditional way and were in outward opposition of many ascendist ideals. For years, Penshaw had stonewalled her brother and father and their ascendist policies.