Chapter 86: Unleash the Beasts

Content Warning: Intense scenes, violence, and blood

Anne

Dark blue pants lay crumpled before the barrier. Duke had just vanished right in front of their eyes. Gone. "Duke?" Adele whispered through her fingers, whipping her head around as if she might spot him running about, completely in the nude.

"What in the name of every Aria was that?" Kawar asked, raising a brow and nudging the pants with his foot. "Did he just explode? I didn't kick him that hard."

A series of pained howls quieted the crowd. Kawar grimaced, looking over his shoulder. On the far side of the circle, Roan bent over. His muscles squirmed under his skin. An Aria's power pulsed through the room, surrounding Roan in a silvery blue aura. His back bent till his hands touched the ground.

In a snap of bright light, he shifted. Glossy black fur rippled down his muscular back. His hands curled into paws. He stretched his jaws wide open as they lengthened. His gaping maw filled with yellowed fangs as he threw his head back and howled.

"Shit," Kawar hissed, leaning against the barrier.

Mayer grunted. "I'd hoped Roan wouldn't enter the circle. How'd Gale knock out Shabar?"

"At least you two don't smell like fresh meat," Hayden growled, gesturing to his mutilated arm. "Where's that little Overlander? I say we feed him to Roan. Once the beast's belly is full, he'll leave us be."

"Might be too late for that," Kawar said. "Roan is on the move."

Roan shook out his fur then lowered his black nose to the floor, sniffing at the blood splatters. His tongue pressed against his fangs. No one moved. Even the crowd remained silent, waiting to see what the wild animal in their midst would do.

Anne clutched her hands tighter. With a huff, the wolf loped towards Calden and Shabar. Breath tearing ragged through her throat, Anne screamed, "Calden!" She leapt at the barrier, smashing her balled up fists against it. Gale heard her scream and he struggled against Lodon, trying to get around the giant, but the warrior blocked the desperate prince's path.

Roan's mouth opened wide and hungry, as he leapt at the easiest prey. His fangs dug deeply into flesh. Fur furrowed between his shoulder blades as he shook his mighty head. His tail swished through the air. Blood adorned his muzzle in ruby-red droplets as he tightened his grip on Shabar's ankle, giving the unconscious fighter's leg a cruel tug.

"Roan! You dumb beast!" Lodon shouted, abandoning Gale and running over to stop Roan from mauling his own comrade. Anne exhaled shakily. She knew what it was like to shift – to be yourself, but not human. All memory and thought viewed through the instinctual lens of an animal. She'd never hurt anyone in her doe form, but no one had ever been stupid enough to push their luck. And, as Roan had put it, she was a prey animal. She didn't have the urge to hunt and kill when she shifted. The wolf's hunger led him to pick the safest meal – simple as that.

Freed from Lodon's non-stop attacks, Gale ran to Calden, and hefted his brother over his shoulder, carrying him away from the wolf. Meanwhile, Lodon raised his arms above his head, making himself look even bigger than he already was. He roared at Roan, and the wolf tucked his tail between his legs. Shabar's ankle was still locked in the wolf's mouth. Lodon slashed the wolf across the snout with his claws. Roan yelped, dropped his prey, and ran.

The wolf slammed into the barrier. Snarling, he snapped at the solid air with his teeth. As he pressed his nose and tongue flat against the air, he spotted Marl. Neither moved. The room went silent again. Anne's heartbeat pounded in her ears. Marl couldn't outrun a wolf. Marl couldn't fight a wolf. If the predator ruling Roan's mind saw weakness, he'd attack.