Chapter Forty-five: A Quick Stop

Anne

Princess Adele examined the blue crystal lamp lighting the inside of the carriage. Carefully removing the outer glass shade, she picked the crystal up. It glowed between her fingers, darkening the carriage dramatically. There were no windows at all. Prince Kiren claimed it was for their safety, but it was actually so they couldn't memorize their passage through the upper labyrinth – one of Remeria's most powerful forms of defense.

Anne would be one of the first Atrezins to ever make it through the labyrinths and reach the Azure Caves – the proudly beating heart of Remeria. According to myth, it was not only where the royal family dwelled but where the Blue Flame's core was located. The princes refused to tell them how far the Azure Caves were from the Gates.

At least she wasn't all alone in this eerie blue-lit carriage. Embria sat at her left and across from them sat Princess Adele and Celina of the Great House Abross.

There had been complaints – mostly from Wyak and Councilman Fain – about being forced to share carriages. Prince Kiren had told them, yet again, it was all for their own safety. They'd continued whining even as they were ordered harshly to sit where they were told or they'd be left behind. In an act of ultimate cruelty, Prince Kiren commanded that Fain sit between Darius and Tarus – she wasn't entirely sure if it was on purpose or not, but if it was, he was terribly observant. If he could already read the Atrezin ambassadors like open books, then they all needed to be more careful.

Despite Prince Kiren's obvious irritation, he'd been considerate enough to allow Darius to keep his Death Enchants. In the end, only a couple odd enchants had been confiscated. He'd taken a harmless Night's Lullaby Enchant from Fain. He'd also taken a whole pocketful of Wind Curtain Enchants from Wyak. The most inexplicable item confiscated had been taken from the Enchanted Scriptist, Cawman. Kiren claimed one of his many styluses had a Rending Enchant. The scriptist had calmly explained the stylus was an important tool and every scriptist carried one. The prince had not been swayed.

Even more mindboggling was what he'd let the ambassadors keep. Adele had been permitted her Sun Flare. Tarus was allowed to wear his Wind Enchanted sandals. And, most surprisingly of all, four men could keep their Blessed or Enchanted daggers – which they'd all tried to smuggle in. Fain's personal guard carried a Celestial Enchanted dagger hidden in his boot that could literally freeze on command. After forcibly parting the man from his boot, Prince Kiren had called upon the Moon Aria and frozen the dagger, admired it momentarily, then respectfully handed it back to the baffled Dawn Guard without a scolding.

Anne fiddled with her bracelet, twisting the gold chain back and forth between her fingers. How strange. She'd always loathed her brother, but she missed the Echo's weight at her wrist. She hadn't realized the strange sense of comfort it lent her until she'd dropped it into Calden's hand. She'd likely never see it again. Calden was right, she was an awful spy.

She hadn't even realized she was a spy, that's how awful she was at it! But that is exactly what her brother wanted her to be...his spy, to report on everything she learned in the Depths. If she told Calden, would he still let her use the Echo? He assumed her brother was concerned for her safety, but nothing could be further from the truth. Izeal didn't care if she lived or died, merely that she be of use before she did.

Most princessas had rarely been given the opportunity to speak with their brothers or fathers; it went against tradition, but she'd been gifted her brother's ear. He'd entrusted her with one of the most valuable treasures from the Emperor's Vault. How many princessas could claim such an honor? To be allowed to speak and be listened to...after years and years of being dismissed, discouraged, and discounted.