A Warning

I strode up from behind Azrael to face the innkeeper. The only reason I'm at close range after what he tried...- failed to do is because of my missing blanket. I've only just realized it was gone after breakfast and I would not have cared for it, if it wasn't important.

"We're here to retrieve the miss' blanket." Azrael casually muttered while I tried not to fidget under the older gentleman's stare. I haven't noticed... Or maybe he'd kept it hidden before, but there was a streak of condescending evil rippling beneath the kind facade he'd shown me in the beginning.

"Ah... It must have been mistakenly kept in the linen closet by the servants. Forgive me. Could the miss follow me and point it out? You must understand there are a lot to sort out from."

Tension coiled around my muscles. I don't want to be alone with him for even a second, but if I turn to Azrael for help again, I think I might just annoy him. Afterall, I've been clinging to him since earlier like a koala, jumping at every rickety creaks of the old, creepy inn.

"It's just around the back, so it won't take long." The innkeeper added with a smile as if to assure me but it only froze me to the bones. It's terrifying how he's acting like he didn't just try to kidnap us.

It's always the ones you did not expect.

"I understand. I'll go with you." I finally replied as calmly as I could after making sure the dagger is still secure around my thigh. Following him into the door behind the desk, I didn't bother to glance at Azrael who remained quiet.

The innkeeper's words were true. The door led to a hall where built in cabinets lined the first few meters of the entrance. We stopped at the fifth, and he slowly opened it without looking back at me. I clenched my sweaty hand around the dagger's hilt through the hole of a hidden pocket in my skirt, tightly gripping it, afraid of dropping it by accident in a struggle. It was a special feature I added after I finally decided to journey north.

"The young miss... Is your blanket here?"

I raked my eyes across the fluffy blankets folded neatly atop each other. All of them are white, some yellowed by time... Amidst the colorless folds, a familiar mint green color stuck out like a sore thumb. "Th-there. The one with the flower patterns. That's mine."

"Ah... Indeed."

I felt a sudden shiver down my spine and when I turned to the man, he was looking at me strangely. No. I was sure he had been looking all along with those beady eyes that barely concealed his evil intentions. I should have asked for Azrael to come with me.

Not wanting to stay another minute, I reached out for the blanket, but my hand was siezed mid air. I gasped in surprise and I quickly tried to break free but it's clear his frail appearance betrayed his strength.

"Let go of me!" I shouted or at least I thought I did, but no voice came out of my throat.

"How strange... A true strangeness." The man muttered in a raspy, exhilarated, low voice I would not have imagined it came from him.

He's psycho! I tried to reach for the dagger but realized it was my right hand that shot out to grab the blanket in my panic earlier.

Darn me! And why can't I speak!? I tried again, but failed. It was as if I lost my vocal chords. Fear pumped my heart as I struggled against the old man who looked at me with a crazed expression, his mouth twisted in an impossible smile, showing all his teeth while his eyes creepily turned into sinister curved lines. He would not have been able to see, but all my senses told me he could. And so much more. As if he could see right through my soul's existence. That I am not from this world. And it scares me.

"It's a pity. It's a pity indeed to lose a precious item such as you..." He pulled me closer and I screamed for Azrael in my head.

The door opened and my companion stepped in, as if he heard my thoughts. "What is taking so long?"

When I came to, the innkeeper was closing the cabinet and I was holding my blanket with both hands. What..? I exchanged glances between the innkeeper and the cabinet that suddenly held colorful blankets. Not white..?

How..? I could still feel his painful grip on my wrist as if it would bruise, but there were no marks on my skin. Only a lingering sensation that made the hair on my nape stand.

What happened? Was I daydreaming a while back?

"It was hard to find it amongst the other blankets." The innkeeper supplied with my confused silence. He finally turned around, and I flinched, expecting the creepy expression he had a while ago, but it was gone, and a calm serene smile replaced it instead. "Right, miss?"

"Y-yeah." Was it, really? Did I hallucinate?

"The horse has been saddled. Miss, if you've taken your blanket, then come away."

"Yes, I-I'm sorry for the delay..." Before I could take a step, the old man's face flickered into the wax-like expression he had a while ago.

'Oh pitiful child... My sister didn't teach you much. Your luck is running out and nothing can save you from the dark looming figure beside you.' A shrill frenzied chuckle escaped from his lips and I froze for a second before running to Azrael.

I did not hallucinate. And tho his lips did not open when he spoke a while ago, I heard his words in my mind. What he'd said felt like a predestined fate that I wouldn't survive.

But he is wrong. I will reach north and there, I will be safe.

The kingdom of Ma-i is peaceful.

I held on to that hope as I stepped out of the hall, feeling a little relieved to get out of the small space.

"I bid you well in your journey." His voice faded as I closed the door shut behind us.

***

The road is weary, but peace, you shall receive. For peace does not fall short to those in need.

***

A/N: Emm. Please, like, share and add to your libraries. Hahaha.