Guarded Secrets (9)

"How long have you been having this head ache?" I asked, maintaining my professional attitude.

The stranger didn't immediately reply, but when she did, it wasn't to answer my question. "I'm sorry, could you please close the door? I'm anxious of people's eyes."

I didn't even sign for Imaya, but she already closed the door. She then floated towards the kitchen and came back with three glasses of water, before sitting next to me. Her back was straight as she stared directly at the visitor with a disconcerting gaze behind her veil. 

"May I speak to the herbalist alone?" The hooded stranger requested quite politely while staring back at Imaya. 

"Imaya is a reliable friend and assistant. Please do not worry, and speak your mind about your troubles."

"...I see. If the herbalist says so... I will trust your words." She slowly removed her hood, revealing platinum blond curls that glittered in the afternoon sun passing through the window. "Let me introduce myself..." 

I straightened my back and folded my hands on my lap as I looked straight into her eyes. Even without the introduction, I could easily tell who she is by the unmistakable similarities of her physical characteristics with the emperor's.  

"I am Princess Everild Vanderbilt." She smiled, her eyes gazing into mine as if searching for something. "You don't seem surprised." 

"Greetings to your higness... Anyone who sees your face would immediately recognize your highness. The princess is quite famous." 

I smiled, and bowed with Imaya's quick response. If she wasn't by my side, I might have already given myself away. The princess' eyes look sharp as she continued to stare at my every move. If it wasn't for Felberta's ominous apology, I would have thought this might be an inspection of Tradam's progress. "I'm sorry if my etiquette is lacking... But what is an important person like your highness doing in our simple abode?" 

"Indeed... We apologize for not welcoming the princess properly. We can't even provide any refreshments other than water." Imaya added.

The princess smiled, a look of discomfort fleeting in her expression. "I'm alright. There's no need to apologize, as well. You treated me very well despite not knowing my identity... However, I'd like to cut to the chase." Sunlight struck her brown irises, making them look like pools of honey. It was the only thing she carried from her mother's genes, and though it's as pretty as the rest of the traits she'd gotten from the emperor, it was the cause of her mother's disappointment which led to her abandonment.

Her mother whose only purpose in life is to get her father's approval... Hailing from a family who only became a noble because of money, getting associated with royal blood is a dream. And having sons who look like their father is a goal that should not be missed, but the second child she bore came to be a daughter, and the princess' difficult birth made it hard for the empress to bear another life in her womb. In the end, she was advised to stay abstinent for fear that the next pregnancy will take her life.   

"I heard from Captain Gofraidh that the lady asked for the borders to be inspected... Can you tell me what propelled you to ask him such a favor?" 

I exhaled a breath. It seems the relationship between the Princess and the Captain run deeper than what they led the citizens to believe. If my theory is correct, then it's better for me to be honest. "Before I answer your highness... I'd like to ask the princess a question... Did you ask the same favor from the Captain, as well? Please speak truthfully, your highness." 

"That's right." It was a quick and concise reply, with an unnerving stare that gave me hope. Maybe... We have the same plight..? 

"If I may be so rude to ask another question... Maybe... The princess also experienced something like a miracle..?" The princess may have tried to hide it, but I saw how her eyes briefly widened in surprise. 

"...Also..?" She couldn't help but take the bait, albeit reluctantly. 

I nodded slowly. "Like perhaps... Coming back from the dead..?" 

I could see Imaya's head turn to me from my peripheral. She must be surprised after hearing my ridiculous words. But she'd done so much for me, I think she deserves to hear the truth. However she uses it is up to her. 

"You..." Princess Everild's eyes shook at my bold words. "When did you awaken..?"

I gulped, licking my lips as I cast my eyes down on the floor. "x months ago... As soon as I died in the modern world, I found myself here..." 

"Wait. What do you mean? Where have you been living before?" The princess' tone changed, as if I said something weird. 

I raised my eyes to meet her questioning look once again, frowning. "In the modern world... Earth, year 2023..." 

"Earth..?" She repeated with a dubious look that made me frown even deeper. 

"The princess... You don't know earth..?" 

She shook her head. "I lived and died here... Before waking up in my childhood years." 

We stared at each other before realizing what we both just shared at the heat of the moment. The princess' mouth was parted in shock as she froze in panic and I did the same. I was so confident we have a similar experience that I laid all my secrets bare to her, only to find out she doesn't even know earth! 

"I see..." Imaya was the one who broke the silence. 

The two of us turned to her, the princess looking even more panicked by the second. 

"So that's why the two of you appear strange..." She continued to speak. "Rest your worries... I promise I shall not speak any of the secrets you two have spilled today. Your highness, please trust my words. After all, I am a Seer..." 

Right... I read from the book. Seer's promises can not be broken.

"Since I have heard a great deal of information, I guess it's only right to share mine, as well." She raised her hands and pulled her veil down, revealing clouded irises. It was as if a white mist layered her eyes permanently. I had always thought her eyes were grey under the veils she wore. I didn't expect this, at all.

"Imaya, you're blind!?" I exclaimed. My incredulous tone couldn't be hidden and I couldn't even blink my eyes like a fool as I stared at her.  

"Yes, and no... After all, I can see the the beating of a life force. That is how I see the world. In waves of unending cycle." Her lids half closed as she shifted her focus to the Princess. 

"That's... Amazing... To see a life force despite being blind... You're amazing Imaya..." I muttered, utterly mesmerized by her appearance. After all, it's the first time I'm seeing it despite living with her for some time now. Her heartshaped face looks cute, and her strawbery blonde hair that only peeked out from the veil every now and then is now in full view.  

"I see... You tricked me when you talked about my appearance..." Princess Everild looked back with a deadpan expression. Imaya's lips curved in a smile, looking very proud of herself as she put on the veil again.

"The princess should be careful... Your confidence is too glaring." 

"What does that mean..?" The princess' eyes narrowed, a threatening aura spilling from her tone. Imaya only maintained her smile. 

I sighed. "It may seem rude, but... I suggest you follow Imaya's advice, your highness. I don't call Imaya my friend for nothing after what I've been through..." 

Princess' Everild's stare momentarily turned to the floor before focusing to me. "...It sounds like you didn't have many good experiences..."  

"Well..." I forced a smile. "Your brother planned to exchange me as a bartering item in Ma-i, your highness..." 

"What..?"