Keep your enemies closer (3)

After confirming with Azrael, the day of our departure finally came. It was fortunate that the Captain offered to lend us transportation services, so we didn't have to hire a carriage. And before I knew it, my luggage grew thrice in size. The head maid was very adamant to give me all kinds of things, some of which were too impractical to carry for someone like me who isn't a noble. Where would I wear frilly dresses, parasols, and sandals? While haggling with Mrs. Elizabeth, and explaining how it would be difficult to carry it around, the Captain came forward and gave me yet another item to add to my already overflowing luggage.

"Lady Alvi-or... A parting gift." He handed me an old drawstring pouch.

"Captain... I appreciate your offer, but Mrs. Irvine already gave me ten sets of pouches." I could almost feel my soul leave my body from the unfinished fearsome debate with the headmaid.

"Of different designs." Mrs. Elizabeth was quick to add with a proud face. "I can see why the Captain is a military man with your aesthetics. What kind of pouch are you giving to a lady, my lord?" She soon continued as she frowned at the item in the Captain's hands as if it was the bane of women's existence.

I sighed wearily as I looked at Azrael for help, but he only stared cluelessly.

Captain Leon silently picked up a box from Mrs. Irvine's collection and attempted to fit them in the pouch. It was obvious it won't fit, just by the sheer size of the two objects!

"What are you-" Both I and Mrs. Irvine's jaw dropped when the box disappeared in the pouch as if it was air. Before I could start protesting again, Mrs. Irvine quickly put all the things she prepared in the pouch.

"My... So it's a magical storage item. My lord is very wise. You might just be able to succeed in wooing the Princess, after all."

The Captain cleared his throat as he handed me the pouch. "Now that your luggage has been sorted, may I have a word with Lady Alvi-or before you depart?"

I reluctantly accepted the pouch, feeling amazed that it was still very light. Mrs. Elizabeth called it a magical storage. If I remember correctly, it's an object that distorts the spatial capacity of a storage item. Isn't this also very expensive..? Why would the Captain give me something precious? I followed him to a distance and waited for him to speak first.

"Please forgive Mrs. Irvine for being forceful, Lady Alvi-or. She's still heavily grieving for her sister's death. It's long ago in the past but it's too much a tragic incident and she had a lot of regrets."

I lowered my eyes to the pouch. Could she be projecting those feelings to me?

"There's a practice in the capital city for the dead. It's said that on the first day of spring, the spirits come down to visit the people who miss them. She'd been hoarding those items for the spring season."

I pursed my lips and felt sad for Mrs. Elizabeth who couldn't move on from the incident.

"Also, the reward that you asked is in the pouch." He added.

"Ah..." So he wasn't being considerate when he offered me this magical pouch. It must have been to hide the teleportation scrolls from plain sight. "Thank you very much... What about my second request..?"

"I sent a message to one of my subordinates working undercover in Brenia."

My body froze. He has someone working undercover in Brenia..? My mind raced to the faces of people I've talked to in the small town, but couldn't remember if someone acted strangely. If the knight worked undercover during the time I was there, then he'd know about the trouble I caused.

The Captain shifted his irises to me, and with a low voice, he continued, "Please look forward to the news, Lady Alvi-or."

I couldn't get the words of the Captain out of my mind even as Banaha could no longer be seen. Because of our conversation, I wasn't able to sincerely say my goodbyes to the employees who took care of me. Anxiety continued to riddle my mind until now. His subordinate is bound to report about the witch hunt. I don't think the Captain is narrow minded to believe in witches, but if even the tiniest hint that I have the ability to heal with my blood is discovered... What's going to happen to me then..?