The Town of Secrets (3)

Just then, the merchant walked in, looking around, as if seeing the place for the first time. Finally her gaze landed on my frozen figure.

"There's tea?" She uttered as she crossed the distance. I readied myself for whatever may happen, but she had eventually stopped beside me, only to drink the tea herself. As soon as the water touched her lips, however, swirls of black appeared in her cup, discoloring the pretty pink color.

"Th-the tea!" I exclaimed as I looked to the cup I took a drink from, but the color was still the same as it was before. Only hers was changed to a charred black color of sludge. I was speechless from confusion. Did she poison one of the tea in the cups thinking I'd choose it? But how would she know if I chose the right one when she didn't even come in with me? And why would she just drink the poisoned tea  like that?

Moreover, what kind of motive would a stranger have to kill someone they've met for the first time?

"It isn't as bad as the other teas I've been served." She muttered as she placed the cup back on the table.

What..?

"Come out with me for a moment to change your clothes. I forgot there's no changing room here."

She forgot?

I didn't dare move from my spot. "What happened just now? Was that poison? Where you trying to poison me?"

Her mouth parted. "No... It is not poison."

I doubt it. Then again, if it was, there would be symptoms.

Tilting her head, she looked at the tea set on the table. The pretty tableware sparkled under the lights that floated in the greenhouse. I've read about them before, and I know how expensive they are. They are made of magic. Infinitely active as long as they were lit by sun once in a while, much like a solar panel.

"I know this must be confusing to the young miss, however, rest assured I am not a bad person. We've both drank the tea and nothing happened to either of us."

That much is right...

"If you still choose to leave, then I will not stop you, but... you will not be able to get answers elsewhere."

I narrowed my eyes. So she knows. "Then... Will you answer them? And what will you ask in return?"

"...I have already received the payment. I will answer your questions truthfully."

"But I have yet to give you anything."

She shook her head. "Change out of those filthy clothes before we talk."

At her words, I was reminded once more of the dirty water clinging to my skin. Clearing my throat, I nodded. "Then... May I use your washroom, as well?" 

"Of course. I will assist you with the hot water." It's surprising how she's accommodating all my needs, planting a seed of suspicion in my chest... Which had soon melted as soon as I soaked in the bath tub she had helped prepare. Well. To be fair, I checked everything she put in the water and there weren't any suspicious mixtures nor scents. They were the usual cleaning agents used in this world for human baths. 

A few minutes later, I was fully dressed in her fashion, excluding the veil, while drinking a new hot cup of tea. The suspicious tea I had drank first was set aside when I entered the room, and so I let her drink first before pouring myself some of the tea she'd prepared.

"Thank you for the bath and for the clothes, madam. I apologize for my rude assumptions a while ago. Please understand." I began after a few awkward loud sippings.

She shook her head. "There's no need for apologies. In fact, it is good that the miss knows how to be careful. In this time of chaos, even those who stand beside you can become strangers in a moment of desperation."

I stared at her, pondering about what she said. "Is that a warning?"

For a while, she didn't respond, as if mulling over my question.

"That time at the festival, too... You said I can't run from the chaos I left... What does that mean?" Does she know I'm different? That I'm not from this world?

"I mean what I said, but words are not set in stone, for the future is ever changing, and you are a variable that I have never seen before."

"I don't understand. Am I in danger?"

"...That is not what you truly want to ask." I couldn't see her eyes but I knew she was staring at the bruise on my wrist. "You are troubled by night terrors, are you not?"

I glanced at the ugly mark, wincing at the sight. "How do you know about that..?"

"Oh I know something of everything, and yet I am as clueless as everybody else."

More and more, I am getting confused than ever. The merchant is speaking in riddles I am too exhausted to decipher.

"That is a mark of a corrupt. He must have hated you deeply to create such a deep colour."

Before I could ask her what she meant, she opened her mouth to continue speaking.

"It is the cause of your sleepless nights, but it will soon fade away, so do not fret."

"So it's only temporary? But how could a mere bruise cause nightmares?"

She reached out her hand, urging me to place my hand in hers, so I did. Her touch was light as she inspected the discoloration.

"Humans are capable of many things, sometimes even crossing the line which should not be crossed. This is not just a bruise. This... is caused by the dark magicks of the ravenous Hatan."

I shivered at how she uttered the name in a fearful whisper.
"Hatan?" I repeated the name. "Who is that?-"

She was about to answer when the door burst open and Azrael came barging in. His soundless footsteps and graceful gait was unmistakable even from a distance.

"Young miss. I've been looking for you."

Despite his cool entrance, he really should have looked for me later.

***

Glossary of Eldrich Creatures for the Novice

Corrupt
Beings who made a contract with Hatan. They are marked by an eerie insignia on their left chest as proof of their deal.

Hatan
An old god born from humans' malevolence. He causes chaos and suffering in the mundane world.