Guarded secrets (6)

After eating the leaf of Biyya, the clock disappeared from Issac's chest, and the disease that he was combatting with his magicks vanished from his body. Now that he's free from the curse, he began to travel leisurely after making sure to take care of the witnesses. Save for the six royal guards who were saved by an unknown intruder, and Sierra Alvior, nobody walked out alive.

The Aji organization survived all these years because of the numerous spies they've planted every where. In the underground business, you need gold and information to thrive, and they've long established their sources.

If the royal guards were captured by the Aji organization, they'll easily track him down. Sierra Alvior could be targeted, as well. And among the escapees, she is the easiest target. Issac, stared at the piece of paper that contained the message for Sierra before putting it back in the small container behind the hawk's back. He didn't release the animal, however, as he traced the magicks that was embedded in it's tracker that was fastened to one of the bird's feet. It will be too troublesome if he is being tracked by Aji's dogs. 

He took a breath and closed his eyes, ultimately tracing the source of the magick. Oakenna, Capital of Kesoe. 

***

Two weeks passed, and an envoy suddenly arrived in Ashinlu, passing a message that all residents must relocate to Tradam, as a precaution to a coming war. There was an uproar when Tradam was mentioned, because it was known to be a barren land, but the envoy assured everyone that the Princess has made a solution to the drought in Tradam, and it was now possible to thrive in the area. To further convince the people, they offered job opportunities such as erection of simple structures that could help with the relocation process. The salary offered was the same as the standard in cities, and thus, the people's opinions slowly changed, albeit with slight reluctance. 

I ate an apple listlessly while the three children relayed the story to me. 

"But do you really think, it's true? What they said about Tradam?" Galeren asked, looking skeptic. "What if they're lying to us?" 

"It's possible. Nobles are unreasonable, greedy creatures." Theobald answered with a nonchalant shrug as he tinkered with the clock on my bedside table. 

I swallowed the food I chewed and ushered the children down. "Not all nobles are unreasonable creatures, Theobald. And they have no reason to lie when they even opened job opportunities with good salary offers. Otherwise, it will be their loss." 

"Well... That analogy is certainly true.." Rainerus, uttered as he fell silent. "I've heard of the Princess doing a lot of things over the years. Maybe she's genuinely concerned with the masses, but it remains debatable with all the power struggle in the empire." He added. 

His two friends looked at Rainerus in awe. "Damn, Erus! Is this why you're usually silent, because you're always thinking about serious things?" 

"Erus is so smart..." 

I smiled. What a promising future for the Kesoe empire. In the book, they must have died during the war, but I'm glad, things are changing. I was worried the Captain wasn't able to discover what was happening in the borders with the lack of communication, but the message from the envoy was enough reassurance. What piqued my interest, however, is the Princess. 

In the novel, she wasn't quite active. In fact, she was only mentioned twice or thrice during the usual visit of the Captain to the Palace. She remained in the shadows, not involving herself in politics or society, but now, Rainerus says she's been quite busy. 

"What did the princess do in the past?"

"She was involved in a slave trading investigation once. She was also able to make a charity foundation, fooling the rest of the nobles to donate yearly. These all happened after being involved in a scandal with the heir of the Gofraidh Duchy, however. It's an unusual relationship, if I say so myself." Rainerus shrugged.

I hummed and continued eating my apple. "You're very knowledgeable about these things, Erus."

"Of course. Information is also power."

The door to my room opened, and Imaya entered with a tray of refreshments. "Alright, the weather is getting colder. Drink this up to warm yourselves." She uttered as she put the tray down to a nearby table she had set up for the children who suddenly acquired the hobby to visit us everyday.

"Thank you, miss Imaya!" They all happily took one cup and drank the contents. I, too, uttered my gratitude and took sips as I looked out through the window. The air coming in through the opening felt cold, and it will only get colder as winter approaches in a month and two weeks time. The seasonal changes do not apply to the whole empire however. The north and south territories are the only ones affected. Meanwhile, the middle territories are blessed with tropical monsoon climate, so they don't have to worry too much for the coming winter season. 

"After this, you kids should go home and help pack your things for the journey." Imaya told them with a straight face and they all nodded.

I smiled at their interaction. Imaya may try to hide it, but she enjoys talking to the children the most. They've been very curious about her items and were all asking a lot of questions, to which she patiently answered one by one. Once the children were gone, I shot her a question about her belongings, "What about Imaya? You have a lot of items here. Will you be able to take all of them?"

"Don't be silly. I'll only be taking necessary items. My goods will stay here."

I guess it's not practical to carry everything, after all.

"The children have been helping me stock my goods in the basement, so it will be fine."

I nodded. Those kids have warmed up to Imaya pretty quickly contrary to the adults' cautious behavior. Seeing the kids happily going in and out of her store, however, they lowered their guards a bit. It makes me happy to see my benefactor slowly opening up to people.

During my stay, I wasn't able to do much work, because of my injury, so I just offered money as gratitude. Imaya happily accepted it to my relief.

The only thing I'm worried about now is how I'm going to travel with my ankle's condition. I still have two transportation scrolls, but it will get too much attention to use them in a small town like this. 

"I heard the Princess requested the help of the Crafter's association to help with traveling. Rumors have it, they'll distribute transportation scrolls." 

"What..? For free?" 

"It seems so. I doubt the people here have money to spare on a luxury item." 

Now I know for sure. The princess... changed.