The truth that meets you (5)

"We need to go back." Captain Leon uttered without removing his eyes from the hooded stranger who was holding on to the herbalist. 

"Captain... What about the two civilians?" Vice Captain Alfonso asked. 

"They will go back with me to Banaha in the carriage I've called." He responded as he walked towards his two benefactors. It was thanks to them, he was able to freely investigate Banaha without causing a political stir. He thought he wouldn't be able to reveal the human trafficking schemes for the third time, however, the arrival of the lady, gave him the chance to create this opportunity. 

Majority of the powerful nobles sitting in the parliament are investing in shady schemes. They've been using Banaha as a strategic point of trading because it was near the borders just adjacent to the slave traders nation. Also, it was very far from the imperial city, so it was easy to intercept any bad rumors that might leak. 

Coming from the Dukedome of Gofraidh with the greatest military prowess, Leon was raised to hold a position in the imperial guard, a natural symbol of the opposing party of the parliament. As such, the old men in their chairs have always been giving him a hard time whenever he goes out to investigate. This extended to the Lord of Banaha who is a distant cousin of one of those nobles. Their strict protocols were made to tie his hands so he always had to find a way to work around the ridiculous rules. It didn't help that the townspeople are also being held hostage, and the knights in charge of the town's safety are being controlled by the wicked nobles. It was a mess. 

"Let me carry the Lady to the carriage." Leon offered. When the stranger didn't move to accept his help, he knelt down as if preparing to carry her. "If you're going to hide your abilities, you should maintain your act until the end."

At his whisper, the hooded man raised his eyes to meet him. "...Thank you for your consideration."

"I'm only fulfilling my duties as a knight." Leon responded with a nod before taking the unconscious lady and loaded her carefully into the carriage. Her things were handled by the other knights, while the hooded man followed behind him without limping despite his injuries. 

"Line up all the two surviving mercenaries. Vice Captain, you stay here with five of our men to transport them back in the duchy with a believable alibi. Make sure to extract every useful information from them. We're not about to let this chance pass." Leon's words felt like an ultimatum, and the knight's faces were grim in response as they nodded. 

The aftermath of the battle was savage, but upon looking at the evidence of the group's crime, all the knights agreed that their brutal deaths are well deserved.

"Rest assured, Captain." Alfonso replied earnestly. 

Leon nodded and entered the carriage. As soon as he closed the door, he looked at the menacing existence in front of him. 

"It is a far too late an introduction, but I am called Leon Gofraidh. May I be honored to know the names of my benefactors?" 

"Azrael."

Leon's eyes narrowed as he looked at the eyes behind the shadows of the hood.

"Azrael... How old are you?"

"Nineteen."

Leon closed his eyes for a moment. "It's the perfect age to join the knights."

Azrael remained silent.

"Think about it Azrael. It won't be a loss."

Night soon permeated the surroundings, and when they reached Banaha, lamps already lit the streets, all the way to his villa. There, the elderly Captain of the knights in charge of Banaha stood in front of the Gofraidh's mansion to greet them with an anxious face.

Leon took the initiative to carry the unconscious lady as he came out of the carriage.

"My... You needn't worry, Sir Dunkald. I wouldn't want to trouble you especially since you're not as healthy as before."

He didn't miss how the old man gritted his teeth at his subtle insults. It must probably hurt to hear the excuses he'd always used to get away with his incompetence be thrown back at him in this manner.

"Thank you for worrying about me, but my duty preceeds first and foremost as a knight. His worship Winchester asked that I guard you as our most important guest."

"Are you implying that my subordinates can't even do such a simple task?" Leon countered as he stared at the man in displeasure. If they think they can easily plant a spy beside him with a simple alibi, then they're wrong to do so. This is no match to the Princess' scathing and sly remarks.

"Of course not, my lord! We merely worry that the strangers you took are dangerous people-" Sir Dunkald stopped short after raising his eyes to look at the dangerous strangers he was talking about.

"Sir Dunkald... Are you looking down on my knight's capabilities so much that you'd fear for my safety in the company of an unconscious lady and a half dead man?"

"...N-no, my lord! Forgive my rudeness! I wasn't thinking straight!" Dunkald looked utterly confused as he stared at the injured guest of the Captain.

"This will be the last time I let this behavior go unpunished. If there's nothing else, then I advise you to leave. My guests are in dire need of assistance. Rest assured, I will also get to the bottom of what happened in the border."

"...U-understood, my lord..." Dunkald looked at the carriage again, but it was empty. According to a mercenary who managed to escape and report back to the Mayor, they were wiped out without the knights' help, so Dunkald thought there were at least five people who fought them off... How could their only be one man!?

Could Leon Gofraidh have hid them to come up with all the responses he uttered? Was he ever this crafty..? Dunkald watched in frustration as the Captain of the imperial guard entered his mansion, along with the knights who helped assist the injured man in a stretcher.

He might as well just run away now, before he gets caught in the investigation. The Mayor was never one to protect his people. Why would he risk getting betrayed after all the humiliation he'd put him through? This day is by far, the worst. And all because of that woman from Brenia.

Dunkald turned around and quickly left the premises to prepare his escape.

***

A/N: The Mayor is addressed as his worship