The Truth that meets You (7)

"Azrael!" I felt relieved it wasn't some weird stranger who was holding me. I was thinking of kicking him in the balls if he continues to hold on to me. I sighed then looked at his bandages. It seems like they're new and there were no signs of bleeding. "You shouldn't be walking around!" I felt a twinge in my chest, as soon as I was reminded how severe his wounds are.

"Go back to the bed. What will you do if the wounds open?" I urged him to move, not allowing him to protest. Once he was back on the bed, I took the blanket and covered his lower body After which, I took the pillow and cushioned his back against the headboard to make him sit more comfortably.

I then sat by the chair beside the bed and started to pour water into the cup. The servants must have left the pitcher for his convenience. "Are you thirsty?"

"Yes." 

"Please drink slowly." I handed him the cup and watched as he drank the water bit by bit. "I'm glad you're recovering well..." Clasping my hands together, I returned my gaze to the bandages, which hid most of the scars on his body. Yesterday, I remember seeing a painful lot. Of course, I've also noticed that there are no signs of a clock tattoo on his chest whatsoever, which made me feel all the more guilty. I was suspecting an innocent person. 

"I'm not dead, Sierra." He said after finishing the water. 

Right. He almost died, because of me. 

"So stop looking like you're grieving over a dead body." He sounded amused, making me glare at him as I snatched the cup he was trying to place on the bed side table to put it back myself.

"I was really... worried." I kept biting my lips as I lowered my gaze to my fingers. I left him for a long time while he did his best to defend himself against the men in the forest. In that span of time, I prayed hard despite the negative intrusive thoughts plaguing my head that seeing him alive made me cry from relief and joy. If he died, I would never forgive myself.

"Yes... You were." 

I flinched when I felt him reach for the strands of hair that escaped my braid. Is he going to pull all my hair out from anger, after all? I closed my eyes. Alright. It was my fault, anyway. I almost got him killed. My hair isn't even enough to even the scores. However, I didn't feel any pain on my scalp. When I opened my eyes, I saw my hair being played by his fingers. 

"Wh-what are you doing?" I quickly pulled my hair out of his grasp, feeling awkward. 

He met my eyes and said, "You were staring at my face so closely a while ago. Can't I do the same?" 

"That's-! Of course I was staring! I was wondering why a stranger knew my name while holding me-" 

"It wasn't because you thought I was handsome?" He smiled a small smile, the corners of his eyes curving in mirth. 

Shameless... "I was thinking of kicking you down there." I answered with a straight face, and made him chuckle. "Ah! Hey- Don't laugh or you'll hurt yourself." 

He winced then nodded.

"Anyway, don't talk too much now... I came here to check on you, but I almost caused you to bleed again." The last words were a whisper as I pouted.

"I heard laughter is the best medicine."

I sighed in exasperation as I stared at his face until he shot me another smile. It looks like he's trying to reduce my guilt, but it's only annoying me.

The sudden knock made me flinch.

"It's Leon. May I come in?"

"Oh- Yes!" I responded, straightening my back.

The door opened, and he stepped inside, his eyes immediately going to us.

"Lady, I am happy that you made a quick recovery."

"Yes. It's thanks to you, m-my lord." I uttered the title a little too awkwardly. He is the first noble person I've met. Now that the adrenaline is depleted, I felt a little awkward addressing him like that. It felt like I've been thrown in a play I've never heard nor seen of before and I am expected to act naturally as if it wasn't absurd.

"Just refer to me as Captain."

"C-captain." I muttered with a nod. Neither of the two titles is comfortable to utter.

Leon Gofraidh nodded as he sat on one of the visitor's chair in the lounge furniture arranged at the foot of the bed. "Well then... I know you're barely recovered, however, I need your help to close this case."

My ears perked up, noticing how his tone implied that it wasn't a request. I was already prepared to give him any kind of assistance for the favor he did, anyway. It's good that it has already been decided.

"Of course, I will offer you protection, and a proposal you will not be able to turn down." 

I gulped. What kind of proposal..? 

"I'd like to offer two positions. Knighthood to your friend and a Physicker scholarship to the lady under the Gofraidh Duchy. However, if one of you declines the offer, then both proposals are cancelled." 

My eyes grew wide like saucers at his generous offer. A Physicker scholarship is already a big favor, but to be sponsored by the Gofraidh Duchy? It's probably the most lucrative offer I can ever get. I pondered over it as I looked at Azrael. It isn't surprising that he got the offer to join the knights. His talent is overwhelming despite being so young, as if he had already went through a lot of experiences. I was suddenly reminded of the scars on his body. 

"You don't have to decide right now, but I wish to hear your answer by tomorrow morning." 

My train of thoughts halted to a stop as the Captain stood up after looking at his watch. 

"I still have other business to attend. Take your time to think about it again." He added before leaving the two of us in silence. I couldn't even give a proper farewell as he was rushing. It looks like he's very busy. 

I returned my gaze at Azrael and was surprised to see him staring at me. 

"What do you think, Azrael..?" 

"I am not sure. It's a good offer, but what about your goal in Ma-i?" 

I didn't respond as I fiddled with my fingers, once I was reminded of the reason why I was fleeing the empire. 

"I'm sorry. I'd like to think about it longer..." 

***

A/N: I accidentally changed the cover. Lol. But I've wanted to change it anyway, so maybe it's a sign.