The truth that meets you (2)

"I think we're going in the right direction." I muttered as we carefully traversed through the tall weeds on his horse. Fortunately, we haven't met any weird creatures, thanks to Azrael's keen observation skills. And it's also thanks to that, we've reached the edge of the land of the faeries in just two days.

When I asked him how he's so good at reconnaissance, he answered in a curt manner, "I was the best hunter in my previous job."

This new information somehow wasn't a surprise. He always had that dangerous air about him. And his skills, though I haven't seen the full extent of it, seem exceptional. It made me wonder why he was traveling alone like this, again. Shouldn't he be in a guild or something?

"...I think we need to go around." He uttered midway through the path.

"No. See here. According to the map, we're close to Banaha." I raised the map higher so he could see it. "Once we go there, we'll be able to hire a carriage and go to Ma-i."

"How do you know there are carriages for hire?"

Oh no. That was supposed to be known only by a few. The only reason I know about it is because I read the book.

"Well... I think I heard some people talking about it back in Brenia..." I replied in my most innocent voice.

Suddenly, the horse halted and neighed in panic as it jumped on its front hooves earning a yelp from me. If Azrael wasn't behind me, I would've fell on the ground to greet whatever had scared the poor animal. I looked down in panic while gripping Azrael's arm.

"What... What was that..?" I asked, whipping my head around while trying to grab onto anything stable. Azrael grabbed my waist and held the reign on one hand.

"Hold tight." He uttered as he tried to steer the horse away from the path in front of us.

"Is it a monster?" I tried to keep my eyes open as I grabbed the machete hanging by the horse's saddle.

"Sierra." Azrael whispered in my ear, making me flinch.

"What? What is it?" I whispered back.

"Let's exchange." He grabbed the blade from my hand and made me hold on to the reigns instead. I stared at the rope in horror.

"B-b-but I don't know how to do this!?"

"Don't worry, the horse is very smart."

I deadpanned at his comment. I think he's overestimating the horse's ability... Mine included.

"Prepare to steer the horse out of the way any time now." As soon as he said that, an arrow came shooting out of the grasses, making me scream in panic. Thankfully, Azrael managed to stop it mid air, splitting it in two, while I almost pulled the reigns around.

"Not yet..." He soon grabbed the dagger from my calves and threw it in the grasses. That earned another arrow from a different position to which he had easily countered with a swift swing of the machete. This time, he used my butter knife to attack our assailant.

My butter knife... It might be that I grew attached to it, that's why I feel a bit sentimental.

Just then, a man came charging at us while screaming with a crazed look on his face. I burst out in a scream myself out of fright and pulled the reigns, prompting the horse to run to our assailant.

We were supposed to go around!

"Sierra..! Wrong direction!" Azrael reprimanded.

"I told you I don't know how to ride a horseee!"

I closed my eyes, thinking I led us to our doom, but the horse kept on going. When I opened them, I saw three arrows coming to my face, but was cut by the Azrael before it could reach me. From that point on, I just shut my eyes and screamed all the way until Azrael grabbed the reigns from my hands. I didn't let him have it.

"Sierra. Your voice will be hoarse if you don't stop screaming."

I gasped, and closed my mouth as he snatched the reign from my trembling hands.

"Everything's fine now... We've made it past the bandits territory. We're fortunate they're just a small group-"

"You think we'll let you leave after what you did?"

We both turned to look at the person emerging from the trees. We may have made it near the edges of Banaha, and out of the land of the faeries, but it seems like this is the end. I looked in fear as more men surfaced from the shadows. They each had weapons. Some even had armors. They do not look like mere thugs, rather, they appear to be an organized mercenary group. The herbalist told us not to worry about bandits in the forest territory, but they might not have accounted the boundaries where there aren't that much poisonous plants.

"I'm sorry, Azrael... Because of me-"

"Sierra, I will soon unmount the horse. Lay low and call for help as soon as you reach Banaha."

"What..? How can I leave you here!?"

"That is the only thing you can do." His frank words made me shut up. I can't fight. Naturally, I'd only be a burden if I stay. But that doesn't make it easier for me to leave him. I bit my lip in frustration.

"You know, I won't kill the knight if you offer yourself to me."

Knight..? I glanced at the stranger, who looked to be the leader of the group, then to the other men who were smirking at me.

Do they think I'm a noble with a knight escort..? They must think I'm someone important because they've seen Azrael's skills. Maybe... Maybe, I should do as the bandit says. I got us into this trouble. We're clearly outnumbered. Even if Azrael is capable, he won't survive going against so many-

"I know what you're thinking..." Azrael muttered in my ear. "But you best end it there." He unmounted the horse and slapped its back, prompting it to run in full speed.

"Azrael!" I turned to look back at him in alarm, but he wasn't looking at me. "Azrael!" The air danced in the scorching heat between us, making it look as if he's a mirage. The distance was growing scarily fast. "Stop!" I tried to pull the reigns, but the horse neighed stubbornly as it sped even farther away from Azrael. "Go back! Your master is in danger!" My vision blurred.

"Your master..-!" My voice cracked. Soon, the trees hid the men from view, and all I could do was pray that Azrael will not die.

***

A/N: Please give some love for this plebian author at: 

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/lenrai

Wattpad doesn't support external in the mobile app. I've tried inserting my qr code, but it doesn't want to save it with the qr code. 😭Hence, the link that can not be opened. Butttt, I've updated my profile, and added a hyperlink in my personal website, so if you feel like donating, 🙇. Thank you!