The truth that meets you (1)

I think it would be hasty to judge Azrael based on a dream my mind might or might not have created from stress. Also, he has not done anything that would warrant my suspicion. Except that he's always covered in cloak every time. I have never seen his face. 

Regardless of the first reasonable conclusion, I couldn't stop thinking of the possibility of it being true. Of course. No human is perfect enough to resist doubt after a bold suggestion (Even if the source is questionable). Maybe he has an evil motive for acting like a good friend and guard-well... Not so much of being a good friend after what he did in Ashinlu, but no one can deny that he is the perfect body guard.

"You're still upset about the incident in Ashinlu?" Azrael muttered one night while we were lying to get rest in a cave I've incidentally found while trying to navigate through the forest using the map I've managed to fit into my baggage before the journey. I moved to adjust my position and quickly closed my eyes to avoid the question. His back is against me anyway, so he wouldn't notice if I'm faking sleep. 

But of course I'm upset. However, that wasn't important anymore. After we were chased by a weird amalgamation of all sorts, and the dream I had, and the knowledge I've been trying to read in secret... I couldn't care less that he intentionally let me fall face flat on the floor because of a petty fight between us. 

"...You've been avoiding me for three days, Miss." 

His tone was a gentle billow in the cold night, a far cry from his usual casual tone. I opened one eye slightly and spied his back that was still facing towards me. It was hindering most of the cold draft as he was covering much of the opening with his body.

I sighed, and opened both my eyes before standing up and plopping next to him. His body flinched from the close contact, but he didn't say anything, so I continued to look at the view outside. Because the cave was located high above the treetops, the sky was completely in sight, and even though I've seen it countless times, it's still breathtaking to see the stars so clearly. It wasn't like in the city where there was too much light obscuring them. I smiled and found myself relaxing a little. 

"I've been thinking a lot..." I started. "Maybe it's because we don't know anything about each other, that's why we say things a little too easily." I sighed yet again, ignoring the soft snorting of the horse behind us. "I was sick... So sick that it eventually kill...-I mean almost died, but I survived that and now here I am." I smiled, feeling genuinely happy as I pulled the blanket closer to ward off the cold. "I finally got to walk. Feel the sun and rain. Meet people, eat lots of food, and I even made a friend! So... even if my brother and mother aren't here with me anymore, I'm comforted, because there are people like you." I shifted my gaze to him at that moment and grinned. 

The soft light of the moon shone through the space between us and I caught site of his brown eyes. The wind ruffled his hood, and light passed through the gaps making it seem like it was glowing in the night. I was caught in a trance at how pretty it looked until I noticed the dead air between us. Yet he was still looking down at me attentively, it made me feel a bit conscious, so I looked towards the sky again and cleared my throat. If he isn't gonna say anything, he shouldn't stare so intently. 

"It's really pretty, isn't it?" I commented, hoping to dispel the awkwardness. Maybe he's not comfortable to share his story. It was me who started blabbering nonsense at first, I shouldn't be upset if he doesn't feel it's important to do the same. I feel a little sad, though.

"It was on a night like this that I was orphaned..." His sudden words hit an arrow in my chest. 

And here I was saying it looked pretty. "I-I'm sorry...-"

"But it is pretty." 

Oh. I guess, he's gone past it to be able to say that casually... I'm glad. I nodded and bumped my shoulders against him playfully. "That's good to hear."  

"It's not good to be so close to a man, Miss." He nagged, making me roll my eyes as I bumped into him again. 

"Don't call me Miss. My name is Sierra." When he didn't reply, I bumped into him again. This time, a little harder.

"You'll hurt yourself doing that... Sierra." He finally relented. Although in exasperation. 

I giggled. "No, I won't." 

The night sky watched as we continued the conversation merrily. It was mostly me who talked, but it felt special, because his soft chuckles and witty replies sounded more genuine than before. In the safe haven the cave had given us, my secrets were slowly being lit by the moon, just as the warning slowly seeped into the cracks of my consciousness. 

***

A/N: If you're enjoying this, please share some love for this plebian author at:
buymeacoffee.com/lenrai