A Thread of Truth

It was a moment of foolish bravado when I said that. I sighed wearily. I was angry, and when people are angry, they don't exactly say the wisest and righteous things.

Azrael didn't speak a word to me the rest of our stay, and neither did I. My pride wouldn't let me, and most of all, I was still angry with him.

Two days after, the first ray of sunlight finally appeared from the east. The towns people were busy cleaning the spaces affronting their shops, and you could see smiles of appreciation whenever they catch a glimpse of the clear blue sky.

A far cry from the two people having a silent breakfast in the Mermaid's inn. That's right. It's none other than Azrael and I. A rare sight from my normal habit of sharing my vast herbal knowledge. Well. It was more of a way for me not to forget grandmother's teachings, but that's another story for another day.

Right now, I'm letting my pride eat my heart away. It feels awful, but I couldn't be the one to step down now. I still need to go back to the merchant, so I did, using the excuse of having forgotten my clothes in her shop. However, I didn't expect Azrael to follow me.

I didn't complain, but already, words of protest are starting to form in my throat once I realized I won't be able to speak to the merchant as freely as I can. There were still a lot of things to discuss. Like how she knows my name when I still have not introduced myself, and what she meant by "do not be devoured".

I stopped and looked back at Azrael who paused, as well.

He's really following me. My lips remained zipped despite my annoyance as I turned about to enter the shop that was open. The space was still as unorganized as it was two days ago, but the warm sunlight creeping in the interior made the atmosphere bearable.

"Hello! Pardon the intrusion. Umm...-" I heard a clang of pans and plates and the merchant finally emerged at the top of the stairs.

"Oh my. Miss Sierra. You're here to get your clothes, I presume?-" She asked. "And you did not come alone..." The gaze was hidden by the veil, but it seemed like she was inspecting Azrael who still remained silent while looking around the shop.

"Very well... Feel free to look through my collections while I go get your dress."

"Yes. Thank you very much." It looks like I won't be able to ask about things... I shifted my weight to my other foot as I looked outside through the door, feeling uneasy. We will be leaving Ashinlu, soon. 

I didn't realize the merchant has come down until she nudged me by the shoulder, startling me in my contemplation. 

"Here are your clothes and the things that you've purchased last time." She gave me a tightlipped smile as I went over the things she was giving me. 

Aside from my clothes, she was also giving me a book and the necklace that caught my attention in the festival. I clearly recall not purchasing them, however.

"Umm..-" I raised my eyes to meet hers through the veil, about to refuse them, but she shook her head whilst pushing the objects to me. 

"You said you wanted to learn more about theology. Well... This book is no more than a fairytale, but it's a good start." 

I stared at her in askance, but maybe it was because Azrael is with me, she also couldn't say what she wanted to say. She must have caught on that I wanted to keep the things we've discussed between ourselves. An embarrassed smile appeared on my lips as I scratched the corner of my eyebrow.

"...Then thank you..." I muttered, seemingly a whisper as I took them from her, albeit reluctantly. "Ah, I also came to return the borrowed clothes from last time. Thank you..." 

"It was nothing noteworthy."

I shook my head as I glimpsed back at my companion who was still busy looking around. "I want to talk more, but we might leave today... Also..." I remembered about my nightmares. Maybe it was because all the towns we passed are far away from the capital, but why have they not been informed of the growing friction in the borders..? Should the citizens not be evacuated..? It wasn't really mentioned in the novel, but maybe it's because the message may have been intercepted.

"What's your name?" The question came out in a whisper. I returned my eyes to the merchant who looked straight at me.

"Imaya..."

I held her hands, feeling conflicted. "Was there anything suspicious in the borders lately..?"

Imaya shook her head. "We don't hear much news from Brenia in Ashinlu. The trade has much more risk because they need to pass by Helium, so they do not dare come here."

I nodded. "Right... Of course. We passed by Helium, so I know what you mean..." I felt a twist in my stomach. My throat swelled with words, but my tongue was frozen paralyzed. I forced it to move, however and managed to utter complete nonsense. "Imaya... I don't know when it will happen... But I feel terrible, as if a disaster will happen soon."

When she didn't say anything, I continued speaking. "I think it's better that you and the townspeople relocate to a safer place."

"What kind of danger do you speak of?" She asked, rather calmly, surprising me. I never thought she'd ask.

"Have you finished speaking? We need to hurry." Azrael called out behind me before I could answer.

"Yes. Just a moment." I uttered, biting my lip as I looked at Imaya, the merchant.

"If I tell you there's a war coming, would you believe me?" I finally said, an almost whisper that passed between the two of us.

Time seemed to stop as we stood in heavy silence.

Please believe me.

*** End of Chapter ***