Guarded Secrets (10)

"What..?" Princess Everild uttered. "Why would my brother..."

"He didn't use the Princess of Ma-i to get what he wanted... He used me." I muttered, almost inaudibly.

In the original, he kidnapped the beloved Princess of Ma-i as a means to get the leaf of Biyya. Princess Everild pursed her lips, her gaze softening a bit.

"I see... You know even to that extent..." We stared at each other for some time, before the Princess spoke again. "Then you should also know what my brother will continue to go through until the end."

I inhaled a breath and momentarily closed my eyes, already predicting the real purpose of the princess' visit. As soon as I saw Felberta in her uniform, I already expected it was going to lead to this. "I know."

It's not as if I didn't consider giving my blood to Azrael to try and see if it would be of help, but I lost the timing to speak to him, and awful things happened, in the end.

"So you're here to take my blood?" It was better to be direct from now on.

"I hope you don't feel as if we're hunting you... I only hope for the best. The end that we both know... Though through different means. I want to prevent it as much as I can. And I hope you do, as well..."

I smiled. "Of course." How could I possibly not wish the same after seeing the children and the people who innocently hope for a peaceful future? As I continued to treat patient after patient in Tradam... As I continued to laugh and cry with new mothers, and play with the children... I realized something.

Running away isn't living. If I abandon these people even when I know I could have done something to change the future, I would be a great shame to the people who tried their hardest to cure my illnesses in my past life. Most of all to my mother who lived in pain as long as I lived. 

I've decided. I'd rather struggle with all my might, rather than feel guilt for the rest of my life after surviving selfishly.

"Since the Princess is doing her best, I will also do my best... I will try to help you in whatever form you ask, but..." I lowered my eyes to the floor.

"I don't wish to ever see the Prince again... This is all I ask in return."

She tried to say something, but I cut her to it. "Even if you narrate me a pitiful story, I will still feel the same..." I'd rather be unsympathetic than become a martyr for someone who wouldn't even bat an eyelash at my pain. "My life is not something someone can easily dispense for their own selfish needs. I hope you can respect my wish." Because I surely did not gain a second life just so I could be used by a person like the Prince. I did not live in pain, witnessing the tears of my family until the end of my days, to wake up in a healthy body so I could die for someone who doesn't know how to cherish life. 

***

Meanwhile in the Gofraidh Duchy, Leon sat in the lounge furniture of the Duke's study. At the chair of the imposing desk of the Duke, sat the head of the household, Alger Gofraidh, with a grim face. He had just returned from the inspection in the north where he heard a strange news of a massacre in the Ma-i's Palace. Now that he had spoken with his son, he was able to put two and two together. 

"You're saying it's Prince Issac's doing?" 

Leon nodded. "He said it was a precaution to cut any witnesses that would report back to an organization named Aji." 

The Duke's eyes narrowed. "And does the Princess know the Prince is disguised as a knight in our duchy?" 

"Yes." In fact, on the day of the Prince's knighting, she recognized him, despite being shrouded by transformation magick. She'd always been so perceptive, but to even see through the Prince's magicks is quite surprising.

Leon couldn't forget how she later barged in the Duke's study during Felberta's personal briefing of her reports that came earlier through a messenger bird. The Prince was also present.

"The return of the Prince, a war, Aji, and an appearance of a foreign woman who can heal with her blood..." The Duke sighed. "Distractions are good, but too much of it will make people suspicious."

"I've sent Felberta and Alfonso with the Princess in Tradam. One of them will protect Miss Alvior in the shadows."

"And the Prince?"

Leon shrugged. "He went with the Princess."

"Despite the days adding up to a fortnight from the last curse's completion?"

Leon crossed his arms, a thoughtful expression lighting his face. "I don't surmise he'd be that impulsive to endanger himself."

"Very well... It won't be long before I need to report to the imperial palace. Send a message to the Princess to come back right away as soon as her business in Tradam is finished." Duke Alger stood up.

"Is something the matter?" Leon raised his eyes to meet his father's.

"Also, it would be best to bring Miss Sierra Alvior with her. Something bigger is amiss in these lands... We can not let her fall prey to other people."

***

Princess Everild left the house of Sierra Alvior with two vials tucked in her pouch. Felberta was behind her as they entered the carriage.

"...Did she give it so easily?" 

The princess reached inside her pouch to reveal one of the vials containing red dark liquid. "Sierra Alvior gave it voluntarily, but she doesn't want to cross paths with you ever again." 

Her estranged brother took the vial and held it in the sun coming through the gap in the curtain of the carriage's window. The liquid slushed in the container, emitting a fiery glow as the horses started to move. "That's unfortunate..."

"Even though Sir Felberta witnessed it herself, I think we should still run a trial test to ensure its safety." 

He continued to fiddle with the vial without giving a response. 

"Also, B-Brother... I'll  make sure the lady is protected at all times, so please be assured that she will not fall in Aji's hands." Everild Vanderbilt scooped up all her courage to utter that sentence. After accidentally discovering his familiar disguise in the Gofraidh Duchy's line of new knights, she made a surprise visit to the Gofraidh Ducky.  

In the end, even Felberta's report as an undercover knight in Brenia was also revealed. The proof of Pubrina's planned assault in the months to come, as well as the real identity of Sierra Alvior. If Everild didn't persist in convincing Sir Felberta to share the rest of the lady's circumstance, they wouldn't have known about her ability. Nor would they be able to protect her from the Prince. 

She'd heard it from the Captain that the Prince was planning to track Sierra Alvior after his knighting. 

"No knight will be able to protect Sierra." The Prince soon uttered as he popped the vial and drank all of its contents to everyone's horror. 

"Brother-!" Princess Everild couldn't believe his recklessness. 

Issac inhaled a long breath before unbuttoning his shirt, and just as expected, the ink that drew a clock symbol had faded to a lighter shade until it slowly disappeared as if it was never even there. Felberta couldn't hide her shock as she stared at his clean chest. The mark was completely erased. 

Despite seeing Sierra's abilities in Brenia, she didn't expect it would actually make the curse of Hatan disappear. Sure, it was impressive, but she thought there was some sort of explanation to her ability. Somewhat like her existence, but this result surpassed her mundane expectations. 

Sierra Alvior's ability isn't something that could be easily explained. It's a miracle. 

The Prince was right when he said no one can protect her. If this secret comes to light, she'll be dragged into the center of a great war. 

The prince stretched his neck as his navy blue hair slowly faded into a different color. "What better way to create camaraderie by sharing a common trait... am I right, ladies..?" 

The princess could only stare at her brother with pursed lips.