Chapter VI: Outbreak

Claire got off her bike, dressed in a sleeveless red jacket, blue shorts, and brown cowgirl boots. She had her reddish brown hair in a ponytail. She heard a sound in the gas station, "what the?" she said with some confusion. She then approached the station, and entered. She picked up a working flashlight and pointed down an aisle, where a trail of blood lead down and took a right. she followed it to a door, and opened it, and entered the next room. She opened another door after that, seeing a police officer holding back a man. She looked on at the scene in confusion, "what's going on?" she asked. He turned his head to her in worry, "ma'am, stay back!" he yelled, before the other man bit the officer in the neck, and ripped out a part of it. The officer dropped to the floor, and the other man looked at Claire, blood trailing down his mouth and neck. His eyes were lifeless, grey. "hey, don't come any closer!" she said, but the man shuffled towards her anyway. She took out a gun she was carrying and aimed it at his head, "sir, please stay back. Keep away from me!" she said, but he didn't listen, and she fired as he was about to lunged. The bullet went through his head, and he collapsed. She ran out of the room, and back the way she came. As she got to the front entrance of the station, a man in a short brown haircut, with a blue police officer outfit, raised his weapon at her head. "whoa, don't shoot." she said, keeping her cool. He gestured with his head a bit, "get down!" he yelled, and she ducked, before he fired his pistol, shooting another man behind her in the head, he had the same lifeless eyes and greying skin. She looked back at the officer, he looked young, around her age, maybe 20, 21. She rose and walked out the door and stood beside him. "thanks" she said, "you can thank me later, when we're safe." he replied. As they looked around, they were surrounded by more of those infected men and women. "oh shit." Claire said, as she rose her weapon, ready to fire. "get ready to run for the cruiser." he said, gesturing towards the police cruiser near the gas pump. She nodded, "ok." she replied. They shot down a couple of the infected citizens, before rushing to the car, and quickly getting inside and driving off, with the man in the driver's seat. "thanks for that back there." Claire said thankfully, "don't mention it. My name's Leon Kennedy, RPD." the man replied. She nodded, "Claire, Claire Redfield. Wait, you said you're a cop?" she said. Leon nodded, "yeah, first day on the job. Not how I expected it to go." he replied. Claire smiled slightly, "that's quite the understatement." she said. He chuckled at that, "true. So, what were you doing here?" he asked out of curiosity. Claire resumed a serious expression, "I'm here looking for my brother, Chris. He was a member of the Special Tactics and Rescue Service unit in Raccoon City." she replied. He gestured to the road in front of them, "Well, we'll find out soon enough, Raccoon City is just ahead." he said. The skyline of Raccoon City came into view, and things were unclear in the horizon.