Chapter Eight: The Upside Down

1983 Hawkins, Indiana

Jonathan drove the three back to the Byres home, where they began to screw back in all of the Christmas lights around the house, the three worked quickly with a growing pit in their stomachs, knowing what's coming. Nancy and Four then watched Jonathan hammer a bear trap into place, Four all trailed a line of gas for the trap into Wills room, while he did this the Nancy reloaded her gun and Jonathan hammered some nails through a bat.

Once Jonathan set the Yo-Yo up, the three shared a deep look, a foreboding feeling consuming the small house.

The time had come for the three to draw the Demogorgan in with their blood, the three stood in a triangle, Jonathan and Nancy holding knives while Four made a golden dagger appear in his hand; the Byers boy looked between the two, "remember

The time had come for the three to draw the Demogorgan in with their blood, the three stood in a triangle, Jonathan and Nancy holding knives while Four made a golden dagger appear in his hand; the Byers boy looked between the two, "remember...", Nancy continued on.

"Straight into Wills room. And-"

Four cut her off, "don't step on the trap"

The girl carried on, "wait for the Yo-Yo to move...", Jonathan nodded.

"Then", he flicked the lighter in his hand.

Four looked at his two new friends, "don't go after it... I'll deal with the fighting", they both nodded again, but all three of them new they wouldn't keep their promise, "right", Four raised his dagger over his palm, "let's do this"

Jonathans eyes went to Nancy, "you ready?"

She nodded meekly, "ready"

They both raised their blades, "on three", Jonathan eyes flitted between Four and Nancy, "one... two..." he looked to Nancy, "you don't have to do this"

"Jonathan stop talking"

He ignored her, "I'm just saying, you don-" Four cut him off.

"Three!", his shout shocked the other two into slicing their palms.

Three patches of blood decorated the carpet, Jonathan and Nancy sat on the sofa together wrapping each others hands, whilst Four was left to do his own (which made him pout, childishly), it was neatly silent, making the faint creak sound like thunder, "did you hear that?", Nancy looked between the two boys.

"It's just the wind", Jonathan shook his head, he then turned back to Nancy, his eyes glued to her face in admiration, "don't worry. My mom, she said the lights speak when it comes"

Nancy didn't really get it, "speak?"

"They flash", they both turned to Four, "yes, I'm still here... he means they flash, it must be when someone's in the upside down", he then gets up wandering around the house, ignoring the two lovestruck teens and their tension. He goes to the kitchen, and finds some biscuits, which he drops at the pounding of the door.

"Jonathan?", the knocking continues, "are you there, man? it's... it's Steve! Listen, I just want to talk", Four went to the door and opened it, looking at Steve, Nancy came from behind to stop whatever words were about to come from Fours mouth, Steve stepped back slightly, remembering the punch from the boy, "who are you?"