Chapter Eight: The Mind Flayer

1984 Hawkins, Indiana

The 'Monster Hunter' group walked through the forest when Max turned to her brother, "mom and Neil are gonna wonder where we are", the rest of the group looked to the scary older boy as he smoked a cigarette.

"No they're not. I left a note"

The answer seemed to satisfy Max who continued to walk with a small nod. Four looked up at Billy, as they walked side-by-side, "why do you smoke those? like, what do they even do?", Four eyes were wide in curiosity making Billy fight the smile that threatened to burst to his lips.

He removed the cigarette from his lips and blew the smoke out (away from Four), he then gave a gentle smirk, "they help me when I'm stressed", he held the stick before him, the glowing tip emitting small wisps of smoke, "but, you can never, ever touch one, understand?", this brought confusion to Fours face, which was obvious to Billy, "these things are addictive and they're bad for you, so I don't want you to touch them, ever", Four nodded.

Billys eyes widened when Four smacked the cigarette out of his hand, "you said they're bad for you, and I don't want you to be hurt", Four said with a small smile, he nodded, pleased with himself before continuing to march forwards; unaware of Billy shaking his head behind with with a small smile.

When the two caught up with the rest of the group, Lucas had a question for Dustin, "you're positive that was Dart?"

"Yes. he had the exact same yellow pattern on his butt"

Max looked at the back of Dustin head with wide eyes, "he was tiny two days ago"

"Well, he's molted three times already"

Four looked at the boy, "melted? why has he been melting?", Billy leaned down to his ear and whispered the correct word, "oh, molted... what's that?"

Dustin gave him a quick look, "he's shed his skin to make room for growth like hornworms"

Four shook his head, "don't know what they are, either", Billy quietly chuckled and pushed Four along with a gently hand on his lower back.

Max looked around as she spoke, "when's he gonna molt again?"

"It's gotta be soon. When he does he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends"

Steve walked beside the boy, torch shining into the trees, "yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats", this made Lucas jump in front of Dustin.

"Wait, cat? Dart ate a cat?"

Dustin shook his head with wide eyes, "no, what? No"

Four stepped forwards, "hold on, so he didn't eat Mews?", Max looked at the powered boy.

"Mews? Who's Mews?"

Steve pointed at the cap wearing boy, "it's  Dustin's cat"

"Steve!"

Lucas pushed Dustin's shoulder, "I knew it. You kept him", Dustin looked back to his friend.

"No! No", the group looked at him, unconvinced, "no, I- no, i... he missed me. He wanted to come home"

Lucas was in disbelief, "bullshit!"

"I didn't know he was a Demogorgan, okay?"

Lucas nodded, "oh, so now you admit it?"

Billy stepped up, "shut it!", the arguing boys silenced and looked up at Billy, "we have got to go, now"

Max nodded beside her brother, "yeah, who cares anyways?"