𝗣𝘂𝗽𝗽𝘆𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 || Knuckle x F!reader

'Don't tell me these punks are a no show!' Knuckle thinks to himself, absentmindedly grumbling as he feeds a puppy in a park.

Assigned to beat Netero's disciples in a bid to enter the NGL, Knuckle had advertised to the entire town that he wanted to fight at midnight sharp.

Knuckle suddenly perks up when he senses someone approaching, curious as to why they were not using zetsu to hide their presence.

Letting his own aura flow out, Knuckle scares off the puppy that was by his side. He watches the puppy run off in the direction the aura was approaching from, mentally kicking himself for not saving the puppy from harms way.

Straining his eyes, Knuckle spots a shadowy figure coming his way, carrying something in their arms.

Upon closer inspection, he realizes that his opponent has not shown up fashionably late, and that it's merely a citizen. Taking a good look at the form in front of him, he realizes that the mysterious woman was cradling the puppy in her arms.

"Chouchou.... I've told you, you shouldn't be wandering about so late!" the woman muses as she sets the puppy down. She laughs as the puppy yips and spins in a circle in an attempt to catch its tail.

Standing back up, she makes eye contact with Knuckle from across the park.

"Quite late for a stroll don't you think?" Y/N shouts, meandering her way over to Knuckle.

Captivated, Knuckle starts approaching Y/N, the moonlight illuminating her body as she steps out of the cover of the forest. 

"I could say the same. What is a lady like you doing out at this ungodly hour?" Knuckle retorts.

Y/N only chuckles in response as she brushes her hair behind her back. "I'd hardly regard myself as a 'lady' but I'm flattered regardless. Chouchou here keeps me company when I cannot find rest."

Knuckle watches as Y/N leans down, subtly letting more of her aura flow out. Sensing the familiar presence, Chouchou comes running.

"That's some impressive aura you've got. You know what they say... good hunters have a kinship with animals."

Y/N stands back up, softly smiling as she looks at Knuckle. "Then that makes two of us. I was watching you from a ways over, seems Chouchou has grown attached to you."

Knuckle blushes and rubs the back of his head sheepishly. "Now, now, I wouldn't go that far!"

"I feel it's common courtesy to know the name of a friend of a friend. What is your name?" Y/N inquires, taking a step closer to Knuckle, her eyes looking up into his own.

"Knuckle Bine! You can call me Knuckle though." Knuckle sticks his hand out, Y/N quickly taking it in her own to shake it firmly.

"It's nice to meet you Knuckle, my name is Y/N."

'What a pretty name...'

In a daze, Knuckle doesn't notice Chouchou pawing at his feet. "I think there's a certain someone who's craving attention..." Y/N motions to the ground, snapping Knuckle back to reality.

Y/N laughs as Knuckle scoops Chouchou up, watching as he handles the puppy with the utmost care despite his muscular body.

"You know why I'm out here... but what brings you to this desolate park at 'this ungodly hour'?" Y/N makes quotation marks with her hand as Knuckle watches on.

"I'm supposed to be fighting an opponent to earn my right to go to the NGL. My mentor is the one who put me up to it." Knuckle sighs and sets Chouchou down, moving to sit on a nearby bench.

Y/N follows him, sitting down on the opposite end, turning to face Knuckle. "The NGL? Are you looking to exterminate the chimera ants then?"

Knuckle tilts his head up to the sky, looking at the stars as he speaks to Y/N. "That's basically what we've been commissioned for. In an ideal world, a peaceful solution would be preferable... but it isn't perfect. The chimera ants have developed a taste for human flesh... they present a great threat..."

Y/N hums in thought, reaching down to pet Chouchou who had been lurking nearby. "Essentially it's a fight of nurture versus nature then? You fight to protect the lives of the ones you love, of humanity as a whole. They fight to protect their right to survive, to exist..."

"I don't envy your situation Knuckle. That being said... thank you." Hearing Y/N's words, Knuckle snaps his head to look her in the eyes.

"For what?"

"You fight to protect us. I can only imagine it is hard on your heart, but again, I thank you greatly."

Knuckle blushes again, this time caught by Y/N. Trying to cover himself, Knuckle thinks of something to say.

"Y/N... now that I think about it, how do you know about the ants? It hasn't been that publicized."

"Oh! I'm a hunter! I'm well versed in ecology, so I was commissioned to analyze the behavioral patterns of the ants to better determine their moves." Y/N quickly explains, Knuckle nodding in understanding.

"So you've just arrived here too then?" Knuckle asks, thoroughly invested in their conversation.

Y/N shakes her head. "I've lived here my whole life, hence why I've befriended puppies like Chouchou. I've actually just returned from the NGL, I'm back to publish a report before returning."

"I'll be going to the NGL soon too. Y/N, I know we haven't known each other a while, but come travel with me. I'll make sure to keep you safe!" Knuckle blurts out.

Y/N laughs at Knuckle. Thinking she was rejecting his words, Knuckle's heart drops.

"Knuckle, you're yet to beat your opponent! Are you seriously that overzealous?"

Fumbling over his words, Knuckle feigns confidence as he responds to Y/N.

"Hah! Why wouldn't I be? I can take them, and I'll go to the NGL no matter what, taking you with me!"

Y/N scoots herself closer to Knuckle on the bench, resting her head on his shoulder. "I appreciate the notion, but I assure you, I have a hunter's license for good reason. I can handle myself just fine~"

Knuckle chuckles and stands, turning around with his hand outstretched to Y/N. "Care to spar then?"

The two spend a good portion of their night fighting, Knuckle thoroughly surprised to see that Y/N was not bluffing, Y/N equally surprised as well.

Over the next week Y/N comes back to the park to watch Knuckle fight, Chouchou with her. Using zetsu to hide her presence, Y/N cheers Knuckle on from the woods as he fights, jumping with joy to see he was victorious.

Y/N smiles to herself as Knuckle tends to the injured boy, slowly falling for his sympathetic and soft personality. Trudging out of the woods, Y/N approaches Knuckle.

"I see congratulations are in order. Please, let me tend to the boy..." Knuckle moves aside to let
Y/N tend to Gon's wounds, falling for her compassionate and tender demeanor.

The two watch as another boy approaches out of the woods. In a nonchalant attitude, he speaks. "I'll take him from here."

The two watch as the boy picks his injured friend up, hastily retreating back to town.

"Y/N... will you really come to the NGL with me?" Knuckle shyly asks, his voice barely audible.

Y/N looks over to her side to see Knuckle blushing profusely, causing her to start blushing as well.

"If you'd have me, I'd love to."

Knuckle takes Y/N's hands into his own, looking deep into her eyes. The two slowly inch closer to each other, leaning into a kiss.

Before their lips can connect, Chouchou jumps between them, taking turns licking both their cheeks. Y/N bursts out laughing, Knuckle following suit.

Resting her head on Knuckle, she beckons for Chouchou to crawl onto her lap, the three embracing under the moonlight.