𝗧𝗮𝗯𝗼𝗼 || Kite x Neko!reader

~•~ Requested by: i_need_therepy-simp ~•~

"What is that.." Kite asks himself, murmuring into his palm as he gazes down at the creature below him.

By all means, it would be easy to mistake this creature as human, but Kite knew better... this was the Dark Continent: a virtually unexplored region that harbored virtually unstudied species. As Kite approached, he was surprised to see that the creature made no attempt to run away, and instead laid limply on the moist ground.

Upon closer inspection, the ears, tail, and fangs told Kite differently. Despite its strange appearance, Kite couldn't just ignore it either... a creature begging for help.

"Please... my leg..." Y/N whimpered tiredly. "You know my tongue?" Kite replies astonished.

Too weak to respond, Y/N looses consciousness, leaving their fate in the hands of a complete stranger.

"Kite!" Ging exclaims, eyeing the tall man skeptically as he burst into their camp with an unknown entity lying limply in his arms. "Just what the hell do you think you're doing with that... thing!?"

"Its leg is injured. When I approached it, it asked me for help... in our language..." Kite responds in a daze, too preoccupied gathering medical supplies.

"What!?" Ging yells, visible stars in his eyes. "Fix it! Then we can ask it questions and document it."

"Stop calling them 'it'." Kite retorts coolly. "I'm sure they have a name."

"Kite... don't tell me you plan on befriending this creature too..." Ging asks wearily, hiding his grimace behind a failed smile.

Rolling his eyes in response, Kite turns his back to Ging as he lies Y/N down on his sleeping bag. Tearing the cloth off around their leg, Kite exposes Y/N/'s flesh, revealing a deep bite mark with multiple bloody wounds.

"Yeesh..." He murmurs to himself. "Just what type of creatures are out here?..."

~•~•~ The next day ~•~•~

'Where am I...'  Y/N thinks groggily, sitting up as they take in their surroundings.

As their eyes travel to their right, they notice two strange creatures sleeping near them, ones they had never seen before. The one closer to them had long white hair, a slender build, and a kind face Y/N couldn't help but be drawn to.

As they quietly approached the creature, their tail swinging with curiosity, Y/N jumps back in surprise as his eyes flutter open.

"Ah. You're awake." Kite speaks groggily, his voice slightly raspy.

Eyes wide and ears perked, Y/N looks at Kite with a gaze of both apprehensiveness and curiosity.

"Who are you? What are you? Where am I?" They ask, their questions bombarding the half-asleep man.

"Slow down, slow down." Kite protests, rubbing his temples as he stands up.

Skittish, Y/N moves back further, unable to help quietly hissing at the approaching figure.

"I'm not going to hurt you." Kite says, holding his hands up. Relaxing slightly, Y/N allows the man to approach them, still keeping their distance. "Who do you think fixed your leg up anyways?" He sighs.

"My name is Kite. The sleeping one over there is Ging." Kite explains, pointing behind him to his companion who was snoring obnoxiously. "To answer your second question, we're humans and come from a place far away. And finally, you're at our makeshift camp for the night... Now, who are you? What are you? How can you speak and understand me?"

Sighing, Y/N stretches before responding, their tail stretching with them. "A human... my parents once told me stories about you lot. We share parts, including the tongue we speak in"

"You mean genetics?" Kite asks.

"That's the word, thank you." Y/N smile. "Anyways, it's nice to meet you Kite. My name is Y/N, and I am part of the Altica tribe."

"The pleasure is all mine Y/N." Kite responds, a small smile playing on his lips. "My buddy over there is Ging. We're part of a biological survey team that was sent here to investigate the wildlife. Do you mind me asking you a couple questions to document?"

"Once I catch my breakfast..." Y/N responds, distracted by a large bird flying overhead. Without even waiting for a response, Y/N begins to crouch, their calf muscles clearly visible as they prepare to jump.

Kite watches in awe as the ground beneath Y/N cracks a bit, their strong legs propelling them nearly fifty feet up in the air, fast enough for Y/N to catch their prey with ease.

Landing gracefully, Y/N wastes no time preparing their meal.

"First question." Kite begins, watching as they begin a fire to cook their meal. "How advanced of a civilization do you live in?"

"We live off the land." Y/N responds automatically. "We don't have any of this unnatural stuff I see lying around your camp. We've begun constructing what I believe you humans call aqueducts."

"Could I see it?" Kite asks eagerly.

Ears drooping at the question, Y/N shakes their head bitterly as they continue to face away from Kite. "I'm afraid not. My tribe is not fond of you humans, despite our shared bodies."

"Then why haven't you left me already?"

"It's a taboo subject that takes place well before my time. The elders have forbade anyone who hasn't come of age the knowledge of our past."

"You seem pretty old though." Kite retorts. "Just how old are you anyways?"

"You humans come to age relatively young... us Altica are different." Y/N responds. "At the age of twenty-eight we come of age as it is the typical time in which an Altican finishes their training.. I still have a couple years left. The graduation ceremony is when we attain the knowledge."

"What curious customs..." Kite muses.

"Now... it's my turn to ask questions!" Y/N chirps, sitting down with an obnoxiously large portion of their meal.

For another couple hours, Kite and Y/N converse over roasted bird as Ging continues to sleep. The more Y/N and Kite converse, the more their bond grows. Y/N couldn't understand it... what was so bad about humans?

'Are they all as nice as him? As inquisitive? As... attractive?' Y/N thinks, a slight blush growing on their cheeks, one that doesn't go unnoticed by Kite.

"Shit! Has your wound become infected?" Kite asks worriedly, placing his hand on Y/N's forehead, their faces mere inches apart. "You're burning up!" He exclaims, jumping up to retrieve medicine.

"Kite, Kite!" Y/N yells, running after the frantic man. Grasping his arms from behind, Y/N presses their body against the taller man. "I'm okay... I'm just... flustered I suppose." They admit sheepishly.

Spinning around, Kite gazes down at Y/N. "Flustered...?" He repeats confused.

Blushing profusely at this point, Y/N covers their face with their hands, their ears completely dropped. "I just admire you. You've accomplished so much and you're so young... I haven't even finished training..." Y/N pouts.

Smiling softly, Kite gently takes Y/N's hands in his own, sitting them down on a nearby log.
"Y/N, you're equally as incredible. A naturally strong and savvy warrior is all I see. Don't discount yourself."

Unable to make eye contact with the man before them. Y/N looks down, trying to hide their flushed face from Kite.

"You know what?" Kite continues eagerly, gripping onto Y/N's hands. "I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. Join me Y/N!"

"Join you?" Y/N questions apprehensively.

"I know it might be taboo for your people, but I assure I'll never let harm come your way. Join Ging and I, and help us explore this place. In exchange, I'll teach you more and more about the human world."

Giggling, Y/N sits upright, leaning in closer to Kite. As they get closer, Kite blushes softly as he hears Y/N purring, their tail brushing up against his leg.

"You've got yourself a deal."