𝗛𝘂𝗺𝗮𝗻𝗲 || Meruem x reader

"Sire, the next champion is the champion of a board game called Gungi." The royal guard named Shaiapouf says, bowing in front of his supreme king. "Let them in." He commands.

Hearing the conversation, Youpi, another one of the royal guards, exits the room and allows the champion to enter.

"Komugi, it's your turn. Let's go." Y/N cooed softly, stirring the blind girl out of her stupor. "I can't believe I get to play against the Supreme Leader! What an honor!!" Komugi whispers excitedly, letting Y/N guide her into the room where the king waited.

Y/N tried their best to keep their voice steady, fearful Komugi would hear the fear in their words. All around them... were people Y/N never could've imagined in their wildest dreams. It might not have even been accurate to call them people. More like monsters.

For all Komugi knew though, they were just regular humans... and that's how Y/N intended to keep it. They couldn't bear to see their sister upset... it would positively destroy them.

Upon entering, Y/N and Komugi bow deeply to the king before them, not daring to rise before instructed to do so.

"Last time I checked, Gungi is to be played with one person." The king said cooly, his eyes on the bowing Y/N.

"My sister will be your opponent. I am merely her aid, as you probably surmised by now she is blind. I am only here to assist her, I assure you I'll remain quiet." Y/N responded.

Clicking his tongue in annoyance, the king lies the Gungi pieces on the board, beckoning Komugi to sit across from him. Y/N stood and moved next to Komugi's side, holding on to her cane as she played.

They were used to it... to be in the shadow of their sister. Y/N didn't mind it though... Komugi needed them. No one else in their family would dare associate with the burden that was Komugi, but Y/N couldn't let their sister just die.

So they cared after her, doting on her at all hours of the day. The two siblings were inseparable.

Y/N watched the two play. They already knew the outcome though, they were fully confident she would prevail.

After all, who wouldn't be confident in their disciple's ability?

After a handful of games, and no victories on the king's side, Komugi and Y/N were dismissed for the night. The king watched as Y/N helped their sister up, tenderly holding her and guiding her out of the room.

It confused him... their compassion.

As days passed, his confusion morphed into curiosity. He couldn't wrap his head around how a human could be so caring, so loving.

The king had only been exposed to the hatred, greed, and corruption that all humans had within them. What he never could have imagined was the flip side. The love, selflessness, and justness that Y/N themself portrayed.

Although he made sure to stay focused on the battle in front of him, the king always kept a keen eye on Y/N. The way their lips pulled into a smile whenever Komugi got herself out of a tight spot, or how they gently smoothed the creases out of her dress so she'd look presentable.

'How can they dedicate their whole life to someone else? Can this human even be called individualistic?'

Truth be told, Y/N wasn't individualistic, not in the least. They knew this well... that they could hardly be called their own person. That was a sacrifice they were willing to accept though... if it meant a better life for Komugi.

"That's your checkmate again." The king mused, dropping his Gungi pieces onto the board. "Get some rest."

"It's okay! I can keep playing Gungi for three days and nights before I need rest!!" Komugi declared proudly. Out of the corner of his eye, the king could have sworn he saw Y/N smile to themself.