•Chapter 13: Day 13•

"Why did you do it?" I ask quietly, staring at Punz.

He was completely disheveled. Tousled hair, eye backs, chapped lips, and wrinkled clothing. Along with rigid breathing and the lack of common blinking. It's like he was just broken.

"The book was his. He said he'd help if I talked to him, and I fell for it."

His voice wasn't hoarse, but it was low and sad. It was filled with complete regret. Knowing Punz, that's exactly what he felt. Maybe ignoring him was a bad idea.

"Fell for it?" I ask.

"He only wanted to make fun of me for caring." Punz said, refusing to meet my gaze.

"Look at me, please." It was a gentle command.

His eyes looked up, meeting my own. The tears welled in his eyelids were clear. I take one last glance over him, my heart shattering. He truly looked broken.

"Why didn't you just tell me?"

"You would've shut it down the moment I said his name."

The pain I felt in my heart was undescribable. I couldn't deny that he was right, I would've done that. Talking it out would've never truly been an option without this.

"Punz.. when was the last time you ate?" I ask calmly.

"I don't know." He mumbled, breaking eye contact again.

I stand slowly, heading to his kitchen. The inside of his fridge was stocked. Though, nothing had been noticeably touched. I grab the tub with salad in it.

Plain, it's only lettuce. I search for the strawberries and oranges. They were a bit harder to find, so were the pecans. Once I had everything I mixed them in the salad.

"Here you go." I mumble, handing the tub of salad to him.

Punz took it hesitantly. His hands were shaky, and I felt a cold sting when they brushed past mine. Along with that tingle. What the hell was that? Can it just leave me alone?

"Foolish?" It was a shaky and unsure call, but I answered anyway.

"Yes, Punz?" I ask, still standing in front of him.

"Will you get me a glass of water, please?"

"Yeah, with or without ice?"

"With."

I head back to the kitchen, scooping ice into his cup. My breathing speeds up as I realize how many days I have left. I pour water into his cup, heading back and handing it to him.

He takes a shaky sip. It's almost like he's scared, as if somethings going to come around the corner any moment now. My eyes flicker up to the not-so-empty hallway behind him.

There were boxes in front of the guest bedroom. I wanted to ask, but now probably isn't the time. Maybe he was moving out? I can't jump to any conclusions that someone else is moving in.

"Are you okay?" I ask quietly, not thinking he would hear.

"What?" He said in a panicked tone.

"Pun, are you alright?" I ask again, louder this time.

"I don't- I don't know."

I freeze, taking a glance over him. He hasn't ate yet. His fork twirls through the salad, his arms and legs shaking. I glance at his face.

"You're not, Punz. You're not okay." I whisper, and he sighs shakily.

He was falling apart.