i want never gets (unless you're gabi hemmings)

Luke

I was sat in my office going through emails when Calum came through, perching on the edge of my desk. He put a bottle of water down, then opened his own.

"She's out, she got upset, but now she's gone back to sleep. She had to stay on her front for a bit,"

"Okay,"

"I'm upping the medication and keeping her on antibiotics while she is here, so I can monitor her,"

"Could it really be a rejection?"

"It could be, which would suck after everything, but it really does feel like her body senses how much she hates the thing,"

"I am a good match, aren't I? Honestly?"

"100%, and if you both had that discussion we would do it that way,"

"Yeah. Okay, maybe,"

"Maybe?"

"I didn't mean maybe, I just, I meant yes. There's something else going on at the moment and I need to do think about one at a time,"

"What is more important?"

"Just something, and it's not more important, it's just as important,"

"Okay. Well, you can grab her food and go down to see her whenever. Actually it's up, she's an adult now,"

"Yeah,"

"Oh, I almost forgot. I think she's struggling with the whole Sierra thing again, and whether to call her mum,"

I nodded and shrugged- I had noticed yesterday she didn't correct the doctor. Usually no matter the situation, she would, but then again she was in immense pain and I put it down to that.

But if she had spoken to Calum, then I guess not.

"That's their conversation to have,"

"Don't you think you should help encourage it? She's probably worried about what you will think,"

"No, she is worried we will make a fuss. I will leave her to it,"

"Sometimes you are harsh on her," he scoffed, "She's going through a lot, forgive her for being stressed about wanting to call someone mum when she has never had anyone like it,"

"It's not harsh, she will not call Sierra mum if we bring attention to it. We have to let her test it out, and the first time she says it will take a lot for her so why would make her feel foolish?"

"Huh. You do you,"

"I will," I said, smiling, "How long until we get results?"

"I have asked for them in 24 hours but if they're busy then we have to wait. We can manage her pain,"

"I'm gonna go home and grab some bits,"

"I can do it later,"

"It's okay, I'm gonna shower and Petunia needs to be fed,"

"I didn't mean to try and tell you how to parent,"

"You've known Gabi her whole life, I trust your opinion, but this time I'm not making a fuss, that's all mate,"

I pat his shoulder and left, heading down to the car park. Honestly, right now, I was a little numb to this all, and the fact they were doing a biopsy told me it was more likely to be bad news than good.

After everything she had gone through with her mum, how could it be for nothing? It wasn't fair.

But I would not hesitate to give her a kidney of course. Part of me wondered if it would make her more... Gabi again. I wanted her back, I guessed. It was selfish of me, because I wanted Gabi to be okay so that I felt okay. I couldn't do this much longer.