baking or breaking

Luke

"You just got paint on me!"

"Er, you got it on me first," Ashton said, flicking the paint brush at Gabi, "It's payback,"

"What!"

"No one's got me,"

I flicked paint at Sierra and she scoffed, flicking it back. Then, Gabi swiped it on my hand, so I swiped some on her face and she leaned over and did it to Ashton's forehead.

He had suggested the idea of painting, then gone out and bought all the supplies; I was grateful he was here in the hardest part of her recovery. Usually I found Ash knew what Gabi needed to do to lift her mood, and it had worked. She was perking up.

Of course we had all agreed to join in, especially when we saw how excited she got about new paints and canvases. Honestly it sometimes slipped my mind that she liked so much creative stuff, for I was pretty focussed on academics, which I knew was a flaw.

"Dad, your painting looks weird,"

"And yours doesn't?"

"No," she said quietly, turning it to Ashton , "It doesn't right?"

"It looks fabulous,"

"Good. It is for mum,"

"Mine is for you," Sierra said, looking at her, "Funny that,"

"Well this makes me look selfish," I said, "Ash, do you want mine?"

"No thanks,"

Gabi let out a giggle and washed her paint brush, then rested her hands on her lap and watched me paint. They had been a bit shaky still, but after eating more and taking today's medication she was doing okay.

The rest of us wrapped up our painting too, and Gabi and Sierra exchanged. Gabi had painted a design she found online, with a sunset and a beach; Sierra had painted her favourite flower.

Obviously that was a Petunia, hence Petunia's name. Gabi hadn't even let me have a say in that decision, but it was a sweet name so I allowed it.

"I will go and put it in my room,"

"It needs to dry first," Ashton said, "Leave it here for now,"

"Okay can we bake now?"

"I'll put the oven on,"

Sierra practically ran from her seat to the oven, while Ash and I tidied up all the paints and put everything to the side to dry.

"What are we baking?"

"Sorry, the kitchen is girls only," Gabi said, "Petunia!"

She ran inside, then Gabi shut the door on us.

"Shall we get on with a food shop?"

"Sounds riveting,"

"It's good that she is having time with Sierra,"

Agreeing, I sat beside him on the sofa and he pulled the laptop out his bag. He'd brought a lot of things with him, showing me he really was ready to stay. It comforted me a lot that he was here.

I guessed I had looked up to Ash in a way somewhat similar to how Gabi did. Afterall, he had helped me become the dad I was today, and taught many life lessons to me that he had taught to Gabi too. When I was with Ash, I knew I would be loved, looked after, and most importantly have fun.

"How's your appetite?"

"Fine. I don't feel too rough anymore, just tired if anything,"

"You both seem to be doing well, I am glad. How are you holding up with everything?"