change doesn't always feel too good

Luke

"Booked,"

"Oh she is gonna love it," I smiled, "Thank you for this idea,"

"I think she needs a couple of days away from here, just at the beach, or in the spa,"

"Agreed. I do too,"

"You know, you are the best dad ever,"

"This was your idea,"

"I mean everything. Everything you do for her, and the way you support her, really warms my heart. She is lucky,"

"It's just what dads do,"

"They don't all do as much as you. And you have brought her up so well, she showed so much gratitude earlier,"

"I am proud of her,"

"You should be. I am too,"

"I have to admit, it is kinda hard to hear her say mum,"

"Do you still associate with Kiera?"

"Yeah, and I don't know how she doesn't either... she has always been quick to adapt. However I am glad she sees you with such comfort that you can take that role for her, and I hope I will soon associate that word with you too,"

"Like I associate dad with you,"

"I mean...," I smirked.

"Watch it,"

"Sorry,"

"But it's okay, Lu. I still forget she is even talking to me when she says mum,"

"I'm gonna head to sleep, I feel tired,"

"Okay... I will see you tomorrow,"

I turned over and she turned off the main lights, keeping her reading light on for herself. Next door I could hear Ash snoring, and down the hall was Gabi, who had fallen asleep a couple of hours ago. She was exhausted.

However I was glad to have her home, or at least in Sierra's home that was ours now too, I supposed.

On the surface it all seemed relatively safe to go back home, and no letters or people had even tried to enter the neighbourhood. I just had a sinking feeling everytime we were there, and I felt I would never sleep in peace again because I'd be obsessed with checking Gabi was still in her bed.

Maybe a change in house would be good. We moved when I divorced, we moved when I got my new job... so it made sense to move when I was pretty sure I had found the one.

We could decorate together, and choose together, and if we went the other side of town then it would be easier for Gabi to commute anyway since we would be near the libraries, and student hubs.

But that home was where life got a little easier. It was where Gabi became a teenager, where she found out who she was, and what she liked to do. She found comfort there anytime she was upset, or sick.

For me, that house was where I finally became happy. So many memories of me and the guys were there, and I didn't have to worry about bills and food. We got Petunia, had our garden done- I had felt so safe. I thought this was it, I had protected Gabi from everything, and we were safe now.

This was so fucked up.

"Luke?"

"Sleeping,"

"No you're not, you're sniffling,"

"There's so much change recently and I am struggling, it's fine,"

"I am here for you," Sierra said quietly, "There is so much stress on your right now, with surgery, and houses, and everything else going on. But I am not changing okay?"