'the good stuff'

Luke

"Pssst. Breakfast time,"

Groggily, I opened my eyes to see Sierra sat beside me, gently brushing the baby hairs from my face. She smiled when she saw me looking, then pulled out a menu for me.

Yawning, I read it, then lazily pointed to what I wanted and shut my eyes again.

"Nu-uh. We are going to see Gabi,"

"I need a minute, is she okay?"

"She is more than okay. She is weirdly energetic, I will be checking what they have her on,"

I laughed quietly and sat up, wincing as I did. My pain wasn't terrible, probably thanks to the medication, but I felt a bit uneasy. Sierra noticed, and passed me some water, then made sure my order got taken.

She got my wheelchair, then I went to the bathroom and sat down, not a fan of everything attached to me still. However, overall, I was okay.

And Gabi was even better.

"Dad! Good morning! Ashton and I slept very well,"

I looked at him and he pretended to smoke a joint, then grinned and shook his head, watching Gabi as she clapped.

"What have they got you on huh?" I said, taking Gabi's hand, "I am very glad you slept well,"

"Calum put me on the good stuff,"

"Hell yeah he did, you must've been causing him bother," Sierra said, looking at her chart.

"No, he bothered me,"

"I see,"

"Mum, dad, Ashton, this kidney feels better. I feel better. I feel so relieved,"

"Good," I said, cupping her cheek so she looked at me, "Have you ordered breakfast?"

"I ordered egg,"

"Very fancy. I ordered toast,"

"Boring,"

"I don't feel quite as good as you!"

She giggled and threw her head back on the pillow, looking between Ashton and Sierra.

"Are you working?"

"Nope, we both have time off so we an be with you all day,"

"Yay. Yay dad,"

I smiled, but had a pang in my gut that it took all this medication for her to be this way. For months I had waited for this kind of smile, but now I had it, and it was from her basically being high.

"Dad,"

"Yes darling?"

"I love you,"

"I love you too,"

"But you need a haircut,"

"Huh,"

"Your bun is so big," she said, poking my hair. She was right, to be fair, but haircuts hadn't made themselves into my schedule.

"You need one too,"

"You can't tell me how to look,"

"My bad,"

Her head whipped round as the food got delivered and she gasped in delight, Ashton letting out a small laugh before taking the plate and fork for her. I took my toast and rolled back to Sierra, watching Ash help Gabi eat. When she didn't resist, I knew they really did have her on some good stuff.

"She will be back to normal soon,"

"Why is she on this?"

"You know she gets upset, and she is probably in a lot of pain,"