love can be shown in a multitude of ways

Gabi

"I don't wanna do medicine. I'm too stupid for this, how do you know all of that? You said so many words I didn't even know existed. And the scans, you understand them so well? And you spoke so clearly, and everyone else understood but I didn't get it,"

"Gabi, shut up,"

"What?"

"I know all of that because it's been a good twenty years since I first started studying! You are more than capable,"

I shook my head and leant back into the car seat, feeling tears sting my eyes.

His research was so amazing. It was smart, and new, and had so many fancy words in. I'd always looked up to Ash, and this proved how much he was capable of, so I was proud, but also never wanted to set foot in med school.

I wouldn't be like him.

"Gabi, you are going to be stood up beside me in ten years time. I believe in you, and I know you will always do your best at med school. That's all we can ask for, and you'll love it,"

"You're so smart,"

"Which one of us got accepted first try?"

"That doesn't make you not smart,"

"You are capable and that has been recognised. Applications are tough, they don't accept everyone, but they saw something in you,"

"What though?"

"Probably the passion, and the determination, and the fact you are a really incredible person,"

"I'm just scared,"

"It is a scary thing, and your first day, even week, will be the most nerve-wracking thing in the world. However that isn't today, and I am hungry, so how about we get some lunch?"

"Yes please,"

"Good. I booked us a reservation somewhere fancy,"

"But what if I fail?"

"Then you try again,"

I looked at him for a second, then wiped my tears and nodded, looking out the window again. He made everything sound so simple sometimes, and it could frustrate me, but it was comforting as well.

He parked up at a very fancy looking restaurant, then we went inside and got our table.

"Ashton, I don't understand a single thing on the menu,"

"What kind of thing do you fancy?"

"Pasta,"

"I think you'll like... that one,"

"Can you say it?"

"I can,"

"I bet Maddox would know all of this,"

"You miss her, don't you?"

"Obviously,"

"See if she wants to be picked up in about an hour and a half, then we can go back home and I'll be the responsible adult until your mum and dad get home,"

"I don't want to ruin what you have planned,"

"My plans for today were to make you happy,"

"I know you guys are scared of me ditching you, but can you promise never to ditch me,"

"I promise," he said, taking my hand, "How could I ever ditch you? Especially when you're the only person willing to sit and talk about brains for hours on end,"

We spoke about nonsense for the majority of the meal, but that was my favourite thing to do with Ash. He was quite easy to talk to since he'd talk about anything, and I was always comfortable around him.