Chapter 02: Home?

Charlie's POVI pull up to the old two-story house

Charlie's POV
I pull up to the old two-story house. A woodshed full of firewood. There's a small boat in the garage, fishing gear, an old buoy. Bella climbs out... we're home.

I carry in Bella's bags and the car seat with little Mia inside. The house isn't stylish, the only new thing here is a Flat Screen T.V., but it's comfortable, lived-in. Lots of fishing memorabilia; photos of mefishing with Quileute Indian, Billy Black. Handmade cards to 'Daddy' and photos of Bella and Mia. I noticed that Bella winces at herself, age 7, in a tutu, sitting stubbornly on the ground.

I put Grandpa's old desk in your room, and set Mia up. I also cleared some shelves in the bathroom" I rambled as I awkwardly tried to show Bella that I cared. Bella grimaced and said "That's right. One bathroom" Bella's eye lands on a photo of a much younger me and Renee, on vacation, beaming with love. I immediately try to distract her from the pictures "I'll just put these up in your room" I grabbed her bags and walked her up the stairs with Mia.

An antique rolltop desk sits in a corner. The room is a mix between a teen room and a nursery made to fit Bella's aesthetic as Renee described her.

 The room is a mix between a teen room and a nursery made to fit Bella's aesthetic as Renee described her

Bella scowls when she sees the room "I have to share my bedroom with that thing?!" She demands, outraged. I stare at her gobsmack and quickly say "Bella, she's your daughter. How are you supposed to take care of her if you're not there? Plus I don't have a lot of room" Bella scoffs and says "Then clean out the attic and put it there! I don't want anything to do with it!"

Bella drags her bags into the bedroom and abruptly slams the door in mine and Mia's face.

3rd POV
Charlie is stunned and appalled by this reaction from Bella. He hesitatingly makes his way downstairs to the living room where he sits on the couch and unbuckles Mia from her car seat.

He notices that Mia's entire bottom is soaked as well as her car seat. He frowns and carries her to the bathroom where he runs her a bath to clean her from the urine.

After stripping her of her wet pants and sopping diaper, he gasps in shock. Mia has a severe diaper rash that looks infected. He hesitatingly removes her sweater and shirt only to find cuts and bruises along her abdomen and back. The only places that are free from injury are her face, hands, and feet. Charlie swallows as he tries to internally deny that his shy, sweet, and awkward daughter had anything to do with this.