Chapter #1: Drakania

-

"There are no wrong turnings. Only the paths we had not known we were meant
to walk."
~

Guy Gavriel Kay

-

"Tell us about vampires

"Tell us about vampires."

"Vampires? They are known as the children of the dark." The man put down his glass of ale, the frothy drink spilling a little, however, none of the gentlemen in the tavern paid attention, their entire focus on the man who was speaking, "They have pale skin as white as snow, however, their eyes are their most striking feature - crimson red - and whoever looks in their eyes will become enchanted causing the victim to do whatever the vampire will ask of them."

One of the ladies sitting at the table behind gasped, one gloved hand covering her mouth, "That's so scary."

"Wait till you hear this." The man ignored the comment and sat up straighter, adjusting his brown waistcoat, enjoying the attention very much as he took a big swig of his drink before dramatically placing the glass cup with a little too much force against the table and the people leaned in, curious.

Behind him the bartender just rolled his eyes, knowing the man well. Alexander Williams was a regular at his tavern, he often stopped by for a drink or two and amusement, sometimes alone, sometimes accompanied by another man.

While Alexander would drink and spout all kinds of nonsense that the other customers listened to with interest, for some reason the bartender couldn't comprehend, his companion would always sit separately and quietly by himself.

"The vampires have their rulers and a royal family,", Alexander continued, "but vampires are living in hiding among us. They disguise themselves to merge within humans," The man dropped his voice to a loud whisper, "There might even be one present among us, right now. Maybe even more than one. Although, they barely go out in the sun for they could turn to ashes."

Suddenly all the people begin to look around feeling a chill on their spines at the mere thought of having such a creature sitting among themselves and whispers broke out as people began to discuss, some of them were so unsettled that they prepared to leave while a few daring ones laughed it off calling Alexander delusional.

At that moment a man who had been sitting at the corner table by himself, stood up and while everyone continued to chatter, he draped his white fur cloak over his white waistcoat and a maroon jacket embroidered intricately with golden threads and with his hat tucked under his arm, he silently left the tavern.

Alexander saw the figure leaving from the corner of his eye as he lifted his glass, quickly chugged down the remainder of his drink, stood up placed his hat on his curly brown hair, and left in a haste.