Chapter #19: The Catalyst II

-

"May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks."

~

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

-

_

_

Jungkook was startled awake from his dream. His mind took more than a few minutes to register his surroundings. His vision was blurred, eyes glimmering golden with unshed tears. An ache in his chest at the fading images of his father.

Had he just dreamed about his dead father? Or had that been a vision? It couldn't be a dream. It had to be a vision.

He squeezed his eyes shut, recalling his vision. He had dreamt about the day his father came of age and as per customs, the kingdom of shadow mages held a ball in his honor. He remembered the adoring smile his father had when he saw his childhood friend after years. Prince Damian's eyes filled with love as he gazed at his father after the royal proposal at the annual ball. He had felt the weight of those emotions just from the glance alone. The way Prince Damian had been teasing his father as they had their dance.

Their soft laughter, and pure love.

Where had they gone wrong?

If only...

Jungkook imagined himself growing up with them, growing up a royal like Soobin and then turning of age like his father and having a ball held in his honor. Would have known Jimin from his childhood wouldn't he?

He would've had his parents with him to protect him and love him. He wouldn't have felt so lost.

Just before he could entirely be consumed by this unending grief that seemed to be with him, he recognized footsteps approaching his tent.

Jungkook took deep breaths to calm himself right when he heard Yoongi call his name and tell him they were ready to leave.

He got up and got dressed silently, pulling Jimin's cloak around himself once he was ready to leave. When he stepped outside, the cold winter air was enough to ground him and help him focus on the present situation.

"Your Highness has wished you the best of luck," Yoongi said as they made their way through the tents to the others, "and that you should return to the capital as soon as you are done. There is someone he wants you to meet."

It took Jungkook a few minutes for the words to sink in, and when they did, he asked, "Jimin? Did he send a letter?"

"No, Your Highness. Warlocks can send messages to each other telepathically. Normally letters are a preferred method of communication but the situation here is critical and needs to be monitored."