Chapter# 14: Kings of Drakania

_

"You can't go back to change the beginning but you can start where you are and change the ending."

~C. S. Lewis

_

[Apologies for the lack of visuals but I wanted to update so I will add the visuals when I get time!]
_

Knock knock.

The dark room was filled with silvery moonlight, white balcony curtains billowing in the wind. The fire burning in the hearth had been doused sometime last night, and the room was cold.

Knock knock came the sound again. 

Jungkook forced his eyes open when the knocking did not seem to cease. His head felt heavy.

He had gone to sleep late the previous night, his body exhausted both physically and mentally.

He glanced through squinted eyes at the windows, the sky outside still dark, his half-asleep mind was about to curse mentally at whoever had dared to disturb his sleep.

Until he remembered last night and the irritation faded giving way to anticipation of what was to come and the fear of uncertainty.

According to the royal customs, the next ruler would start to live in the castle, take up royal duties and attend the morning and evening court to better grasp the country's political situation.

As well as familiarizing himself with what would now be his future home.

Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes and blinking himself awake he sat up and said in a loud voice, "come in."

Alexander stepped inside telling him that the valets had brought along his attire and would be waiting in the dressing room.

"Is the morning court this early?" Stifling a yawn, Jungkook asked Alexander once he was dressed, tugging on the frilly sleeves of his shirt, unused to such fancy clothing.

He had a red silk shirt with high collars, with slight golden embroidery, matched with a pair of golden high-waisted straight trousers and shiny black ankle boots. And a blue cape with gold trimmings.

The outfit choice was significant because red and gold were the house colors of shadow mages, and the blue and gold of his fiancé's house  - the vampires.

"Usually the morning court starts after the morning training," Alexander replied, making his way out.

Jungkook followed the advisor out of his room, the knights falling into the step alongside them.

Alexander led him in silence through the corridors filled with scurrying servants hurriedly cleaning. He tried his best not to be intimidating but the entourage didn't help.

They made their way onto the third floor they stood before frosted glass doors open wide, leading onto a terrace lit up golden from the fire burning in stone braziers.

From where Jungkook stood he could see the sky lighting up with the first signs of the morning in the distance.

Alexander turned and gave him a small smile, "Last night was the ball where the prince was to select the one to accompany him to the throne. Don't you think the people of Drakania would be curious, waiting to meet their future rulers?"

It took a moment for the words to sink in and when they did the shadow mage realized with a start that he was now a royal and a future king.

"Of course." Jungkook nodded, pushing down the multitude of emotions rising inside when they started to affect his surroundings, the fire in the scones and the stone brazier flickered a little brighter.