Interlude #I: The Beginning

-

"The beginning is the most important part of the work."
~

Plato, The Republic

-

-

[Note: The interlude is set before Jimin comes to the human realm.]

-

Ever since Jimin had celebrated his 113th birthday he kept feeling uneasy, like something was happening. 

Something that wasn't good. 

There was this prickling feeling within him, a feeling that was urging him to do something. What it was that he should be doing or was supposed to do, he didn't know. And this foreboding feeling made him restless, anxious even. 

The whole month following his birthday he was plagued by strange visions that had no rhyme or reason. He wouldn't remember the contents, just feelings. 

At first, he was reluctant to talk to anyone. And even if he wanted to talk, what could he say? 

He didn't remember any of his visions. They came suddenly and they'll be over within moments but he'll be left unnerved following those moments. 

It would sound ridiculous to himself if someone were to tell him that. 

Hence the crown prince kept silent about the visions and the gnawing feeling that seemed to get worse with each day while keeping up with his duties and doing his best to go about his days. 

He spent his free training or doing rounds with the royal knights. But the visions didn't stop and people around him began to notice.

It was the last month of the human new year and the winter solstice was approaching soon. The day was clear, and the market was filled with a buzz as the capital prepared for the solstice festival. The children were happily running around and white paper lanterns were being hung in the streets.

Jimin's horse trotted along the stone path as they took the shortcut that went around the market, accompanying Jimin was General Noe. 

In the middle of the town square, people were building a pit for the giant bonfire. 

A sacrificial fire that would burn the whole night of the solstice, to pray for the safety of those who will be leaving the realm. 

The vampire's gaze was drawn to the cathedral towering tall and beautiful in the far distance. Ever since he was a kid he wanted to see the cathedral from the inside but now that he was older, he had come to fear it somewhat. Afraid of the things it signified. Unconsciously his fingers tightened around the reins of the horse.