Chapter #12: The Catalyst

-

"We end up where we were meant to." 

~Sunnane Park

-

-

There was an eerie silence following Jungkook's unexpected proposal.

Jimin could feel his whole world tilting dangerously. In hindsight, he wondered if he could have avoided this situation if he hadn't been so adamant about inviting Jungkook to the ball.

Or was everything meant to end like this? From the moment when he had laid eyes on Jungkook in the middle of the woods where he had been hunting, sweaty from the summer heat, his brown eyes filled with determination.

And had decided he wanted to stay in the little town called Busan just for the mere reason that the human was, in simple words, enchanting?

Jimin's gaze met the said eyes from across the ballroom and he knew that no matter how desperately he wanted to protect Jungkook and keep him safe, it was all futile.

Presenting as a Phoenix right in front of all the nobles, it would be hard to hide Jungkook. Now he wouldn't be safe, even if he manages to return to the human realm.

It was just reminding him of Prince Azar Orendus and Prince Damian. The tragic couple. Unbidden, he had endangered Jungkook. He was failing the promise he had made to himself.

The promise to keep Jungkook safe.

Heart hammering, Jimin kept the feeling of fear coiling in his stomach to himself, and all through it, his face remained blank. It was probably meant to end up this way along. Now all he could do was keep Jungkook close enough to himself to keep him safe. After all, this whole predicament was his fault.

"With Your Majesties and the nobles of Drakania as the witness," Jimin answered his voice loud and clear in the silent ballroom, "I, Crown prince of Drakania, Park Jimin, accept the proposal of Orendus Jungkook, the Phoenix, head of the house of Shadow Mages. And henceforth consider Jungkook as my future mate, pledging sincerity and my unwavering loyalty for the remainder of my life."

Jungkook stood stunned for a moment while there was a deep silence following Jimin's words filled only by the sound of rain. Before the news finally sunk in and all the people and the spectators broke out in congratulations.

Jungkook barely paid attention because across the ballroom Jimin's eyes still had a hold over his as he made his way over. 

Jimin's heart was afraid, after watching his lover in such a vulnerable state moments ago, he was being selfish, he knew, but he wanted to be close to Jungkook. To be able to feel him safe and sound, to shut down the voices in his head.