Chapter #18: The Night of Massacre

-

"Death is lighter than a feather,
Duty is heavier than a mountain."

~

Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

-

[Song suggestion: Hold your breath - Astyria]
-

Just like Lady Elyane had said, the moment they entered the vicinity of Rhypona, Jungkook could see the rips in the barrier.

The barrier was like a huge golden dome of energy surrounding Drakania, but in the distance, Jungkook could see there was a huge space - like a part of the roof had caved in - above the city walls of Rhypona and stretching to the mountains of éktaktos.

Jungkook could also sense tremendous waves of energy that he recognized as the magic of wizards and warlocks. The magic of warlocks was heavy and similar to his own, while the wizard magic was lighter but powerful.

His heart was hammering loudly in his chest, fingers gripping the reins of steed tightly, knuckles turning white. He wondered for the first time since he had come here, if he could even do this by himself.

What if he failed?

And suddenly the weight of the responsibility that lay on his shoulders felt suffocating. Doubt was like a parasite, and it had started gnawing at his insecurities.

"Your Highness would you like to rest by the manor or should we head straight towards the camp?" Lord Atlantas asked from where he was riding ahead. It was colder here, the sound of trotting horse hooves was loud.

"Let's head straight to the camp." He answered without even considering, he wanted to get it over with so he could return to the back of Phoenix castle, back to Jimin.

It took them thirty minutes to reach the camp, the energy surrounding the area was really strong.

Despite the doubt and uncertainty within, as they entered the camp Jungkook held his chin high, the blue earring dangling gently as his horse trotted.

The camp was set at the foot of mountains where temporary tents were erected so people could rest. There was a bustling as the long-awaited royal entourage arrived.

A little part of Jungkook had been hoping that given the later hour, there won't be many people around but he had forgotten that this wasn't the human realm. Most creatures were more active at night.

Whispers rose in the air and muffled phrases followed their entourage as they made their way inside. Lord Atlantas, leading their entourage, got off first and everyone else followed.

Jungkook suddenly felt overwhelmed, he didn't know what it was but something seemed to be pressing in on him. Like a huge shadow enveloping his whole being.

He got off the horse, as a cold breeze whipped through the camp but the cloak kept the shadow mage warm. He cast a wary glance at the sky, gaze lingering on the looming snow-laden mountains.

There was this feeling that he had been here before.

"Hyung-nim, are you okay?"

Jungkook snapped his gaze to look at Soobin, gaze blank. All of the others were being led to the canopy tent in the middle, where the warlocks and wizards' military heads were gathered around a table, leaving the two princes behind.

If it hadn't been for Soobin's special understanding of Jungkook, the fact that something was bothering him might have slipped him.

Jungkook wanted to tell Soobin what he was feeling but words betrayed him. How can he explain something that he did not understand himself?