There's Nothing Wrong With Being a Virgin

"Piece of shit!" Impa kicks her boot against the claw machine and spams the big red button.

"Calm down, the machine already has a dent because you kick it all the time," I chuckle lightly.

"So sick of this scam machine. Let's just go. We can go ride the Ferris wheel. Sun's gonna set soon, maybe we can take some selfies."

"Sure. But keep in mind that I have to be home in about an hour."

"Oh yeah. I forgot. The dinner..."

"What?"

"What?"

"Why did you say it like that?"

"Like what?"

"The dinner..." I quote her with the same lack of enthusiasm.

"Oh, it's not what you're thinking. It's got nothing to do with Link or your dad. I'm just pissed at the claw machine."

"Oh. Don't beat yourself up. One day you'll get it," I pat her back. "Would a bag of Skittles help cheer you up?"

"Only the sour kind," she mumbles at her chest.

"I'm pretty sure they sell the sour ones at the kiosk."

"Then yes! That'll help!" She chirps, suddenly wearing a bright smile. Candy is the best way to defeat her pout.

After stopping for Skittles and popsicles, we buy our tickets for the Ferris wheel but Impa changes her mind when we pass a caricature artist and convinces me to buy a drawing of us together.

We sit down next to each other and smile for the artist. Thirty seconds in, I realize that a smile was not the best pose for a drawn picture of us but when I ask if I can still change my pose the guy just smiles and thanks me in a rich accent. I guess I'll have to awkwardly sit here with a frozen grin until the artwork is done.

"So, I kinda started seeing someone," Impa randomly reveals. 

"What? Since when?" I ask, trying not to move my lips. Why is she telling me right now? The artist will mess up our picture if we start talking.

"Been going on for a few months."

"What?! Why did you never tell me you're dating someone?" I can't help but feel a bit hurt. She would be hurt too if I dated someone in secret.

"We aren't dating. Just hooked up a few times... I don't even know if I want it to be more."

"A girl or a guy?"

"A guy," she snaps. Why is she getting angry at me?

"I didn't mean to be insensitive. Sorry."

"I'm not gay," she mutters abashedly.

"Okay." I quietly return, biting my tongue. I turn my head to look at her; she is bright red. "But if you were... that would be okay too," I add.

"I know."

"Do you?"

"What?" She barks.

"I'm just saying. I would never judge anyone for their sexuality."

"Neither would I!" she defends herself.

"Stop being so defensive, I'm not attacking you!"

"You're implying that I'm homophobic!"

"What?! You're the one making a big deal out of it! It literally doesn't matter to me which gender you like but apparently it does to you..."

She's overreacting. I shouldn't have assumed anything and maybe I shouldn't have brought it up but I always thought we could talk about anything and everything. Even about stuff like this. I would never judge her, no matter her sexual orientation. I don't know why she's being weird about it.