Overthinking is a Waste of Time

(Hey guys! This is basically the previous chapter but from Link's point of view ^-^)

Link's POV

This might be the best unadon dish I've ever made. Zelda's gonna love it, I know she likes seafood a lot. No clue about her dad but he didn't really object when I suggested eel. It's hard to guess what he likes to eat. I hope Zelda gets here soon so I don't have to do small talk with him.

I take the dish out of the oven and place it on the stove to let it cool off a bit. I freaking love this kitchen. So much counter space. I take off the mittens to check the time on my phone. It's already 8 PM... I wonder what's taking her so long. I'm glad she's being a good friend by helping Pik with whatever he needs help with but did it have to be tonight of all days?

"Any update?" her dad suddenly asks me from the other side of the kitchen island. Where'd he come from? He just spawned there.

I look up from my phone to shake my head at him. Now he's giving me that judgmental look that he always gives people when they disappoint or annoy him but I think he's more mad at Zelda than me. I mean, why would he be mad at me, right? I didn't do anything wrong. I think.

"Should I call her?" I ask him.

"Nowadays, time is invariably accessible to humans. Technology enables us to be informed and to stay connected. My daughter is no exception." I'm confused but I'm afraid to ask. "I'm saying it is Zelda's responsibility to call when she fails to meet others' expectations. She should know to value punctuality."

I feel like my brain is fried. I have no clue what to say to that.

"Okay," I say to be safe and nod hesitantly.

"Is the dinner ready?" He asks, looking at the eel in the tray.

"Yes, sir."

"I see. Come join me in the living room while we wait."

"Okay," I say again as he walks ahead.

I put the dish back into the oven to keep it warm, then I follow him to the living room. He's a scary man. Not like creepy-scary but like math-test-scary. I've faced lots of scary situations but somehow Dr. Hyrule makes those other things seem easy. It's mainly just that I've always had a shit ton of respect for the guy. You'd think I'd be less tense around him now that I'm "part of the family" or whatever, but his scariness only doubled when I started dating Zelda 'cause he's the dad and all. But he's also the school's president and owner and my future boss. He's a lot of things that make me feel really small next to him.

He takes a seat on the couch first. Guess I'll sit opposite of him. I have a feeling I'll have to do small talk now. Please hurry, Zelda.

"So," he clears his throat. "Have you signed up for the fall semester yet?"

"Yes."

"How many credit hours will you be taking?"

"12," I answer. He doesn't say anything back but he looks disappointed with my answer. Sure, 12 isn't a lot, but I'm planning on working out a lot so I can get back on the soccer team and I might also get a campus job to make up for the money I owe him. Or at least parts of it...

"Will you be able to graduate in time?"

Yikes. He really thinks I'm slacking that hard? "Yes. And also, Zelda and I were planning on signing up for another class together. So I'll be at 15 or 16 credit hours."

"She is taking 19 credit hours in the fall."

Not sure if he's implying that she's too busy to take another class or if he's comparing me to her impressive amount of workload. What to say, what to say...