I haven't been honest about Ruto

Link turns his head to look at me with his eyes wide open. "What?"

"Before you freak out, I want you to know that I am not trying to break up with you. I actually want to avoid that at all costs."

"Break up with me?" He squeaks, brows creased in shock.

"I said don't freak out," I try to calm him. "All I'm saying is that if we don't fix the leaks, our relation-ship is going to sink. But there's still hope, we just have to act now."

"Huh? Who's boat is sinking?"

"It's a metaphor."

"I don't get it, I thought everything's fine. Why are we sinking?"

"You don't really think that our relationship is healthy, do you? I don't think it's supposed to be this hard."

"You're talking as if we're still hiding our relationship. Everything's good! You're happy, are you not?"

"I'm very happy," I nod.

"Then what's the issue?"

Am I the crazy one? "Do you think we're doing okay?"

"Where's this suddenly coming from?" He asks confused, not answering my question.

"I'm not sure. I'm just thinking about us... And our relationship."

He sits up and rubs his neck as he looks down on me. "Does this... does this have anything to do with Ruto?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I actually like her. She seems nice. And I don't have a problem with you guys being friends, I promise. I'm sorry if I seemed bothered by it."

"You didn't."

"Good. I really don't want to act childish when it comes to you and other girls."

"Then what made you think about our relationship?"

"I'm just... wondering what I can do better."

He groans and relaxes his shoulders. "This again?"

"Hear me out..."

"You're a good girlfriend, stop worrying about that."

If only he knew about Karusa...

"Do you really think our relationship is hard?"

"I think we could do better sometimes."

"Well yeah, no relationship is perfect," he says.

"Do you think our relationship is healthy?" I ask again.

"Yeah? I think so?"

I don't like the lack of confidence in his voice but then again, I'm not really confident in it either. "Is there something you don't like about our relationship?"

"I don't like how you think you're not good enough. Or how you think sex is all I want from you."

"I don't think that."

"But you act like that sometimes. Like I will leave you if you don't give me everything the stereotypical man desires. I don't lust after you, I like you because you're caring and selfless. And I don't like when you think I'm like that. I won't leave you for taking it slow or anything."

"I know you won't leave me," I say. "And to be honest, that confuses me a little."

"Why does that confuse you?"

Because Mother left. Because Father left. Because everybody who says they love me leaves me sooner or later. Because no matter how hard I try, I am never able to please anyone!