If you could snap your fingers and make it all go away

I got a really good grade on my second final, so as promised, here's another surprise chapter!! If my next two final exams go well, you can expect more surprise chapters heheh!

PS: Don't you just love unnecessarily long titles? 😌

-----

Zelda's POV

I drift in and out of sleep, teetering on the edge of unconsciousness. I feel my body tilting forward into fatigue, and my eyelids betray me by staying shut when I blink, but before I tip over, a jolt jerks me awake, my phone still cradled in my hand.

Every couple of hours, I ask Pik the same question. Each time, he replies with the same answer.

1 AM: "Are you still there?"

"Yes, I'm still here."

3:30 AM: "Are you still there?"

"Yes, I'm still here."

5 AM, "Are you still there?"

"Yes, I'm still here."

The night feels endless, even for Malice, who wakes up periodically from nightmares. Sometimes she talks in her sleep, calling out the words "No" and "Go away" or "Don't."

She startles awake, her body wracked with shivers and pain. I offer her medications and gentle reassurance, urging her to rest.

✤ ✤ ✤

The morning finally arrives when the birds begin to chirp outside the window. I stretch my stiff muscles and rub the sleep from my eyes.

"Pik?" I whisper into the phone.

It takes a few seconds, but he quietly murmurs back, "Still here."

"Thank you for staying with me all night," I say, feeling beyond grateful. "Get some rest now."

"You sure? I can stay on the line if you need me," he says, his voice more raspy than usual.

I want him to stay on the line. I want him here with me in person, if I'm being fully honest. But I could never ask that of him. I already feel guilty for calling him in the first place.

I thank Pik again and make him promise to get some rest after he makes me promise to call him if I need to.

Just as I press 'End Call', Malice grunts, "More pills."

"It hasn't been 6 hours since your last dose," I tell her.

"Don't be such a cunt," she whales, then her body folds violently and she empties her stomach into the bin next to the bed.

"Karma," is all I say, finding no pleasure in my remark. I get up and hand her some water. She gulps down half of the bottle and hands it back to me without even looking at me. "You know, it wouldn't hurt to say thanks sometimes."

"Everything hurts," she says.

"Even saying thank you?"

"Especially saying thank you."

I roll my eyes when I catch a little smirk on her face. It's a hint of her old self returning, which I never thought would comfort me one day.

I plunge down next to her on the bed. I can't believe how soft it is! My pelvic is aching from sitting on the floor all night. I shut my eyes for a moment and spread my limbs.... My hands flat on the sheets.... They're so soft and cool..... Fluffy..... They smell like linen. Like a cloud.... And.....

I open my eyes in shock. "Did I fall asleep?!"

Malice is facing me, unbothered and calm. "Maybe for like 20 minutes."