I'm Not Going Anywhere

(An extra chapter was posted yesterday, in case you missed it!)

---

Zelda's POV

Link leaves the house without another word. I have no idea where he's going or how long he'll be gone for, but I can finally breathe again.

I can't believe all the hurtful things he said to me. I know he didn't mean it, but for now I think it's best if he finds a calm place to cool down. Somewhere where his anger won't turn to us for a target.

Malice and I sit in silence, until minutes later, her voice cuts through the tense air.

"Are you okay?"

She is seated against the bed frame, her tired gaze fixed on me.

"What do you care?" I retort, my annoyance bubbling to the surface. I wrap my arms around my knees, hugging myself tightly. 

"I don't," Malice replies with a casual shrug.

Link just can't stay out of trouble, can he? Days away from the start of school, and he's fighting Karusa? With his track record and past expulsion, this is the last thing he needs. They might expel him again if they see him beat up like that. Surely somebody is going to ask questions. Especially Father... What will he say when he lays eyes on him? Or me?

Suddenly Malice's eyes widen and she hastily covers her mouth. But it's too late to stop what's coming! Vomit floods the carpet.

"Shit!" I curse at her, instinctively jumping to my feet to create some distance from the mess she just made.

"Sorry," Malice mumbles, her words barely audible as she collapses back onto the carpet. More comes out, then she curls up, shivering as if seized by a wave of cramps. "I'm sick, Zelda... I need something in my system."

"Food?" I ask, eyeing the puddle of vomit.

"Drugs, Zelda. I need drugs."

"Absolutely not," arms folded across my chest, I shake my head at her. "You're not doing drugs in my house."

"Then give me more pills," she pleads.

"Not for another 8 hours."

"Fuck..."

I sigh and roll my eyes, almost a little grateful that she is distracting me from Link right now. But my gratitude doesn't even get close to the annoyance I feel toward her.

"Get up," I command, frustration lacing my tone. She protests weakly, resisting my efforts as I haul her up by her arms. It's a struggle, as if I'm dragging a deadweight, but I manage to take her into the bathroom, her legs not doing any work.

When I drop her in the shower, her eyes flicker open. "What are you doing?"

She curses and screeches when the cold water rains down on her from above. She is instantly drenched from head to toe.

"I'm wearing clothes you crazy bitch!"

"Undress then," I tell her.

"Go to hell!"

"Gladly. Will you save me a seat?" I wrinkle my nose. "Ugh, you reek. And I bet you haven't showered in weeks! I'm doing you a favor, really."

"Fine, I'll take a shower," she says. "Give me some privacy though."

"No way, I'm not letting you out of my sight." For all I know, she'll find the first aid kit in the cabinet and overdose on ibuprofen. Or find a sharp tool to stab me.

"You need to chill the fuck out, Zelda. I'm not gonna do anything," she mutters, her eyes shutting again as if even the act of keeping them open is a monumental task. "I can't even stand up okay?"