Act I • Chapter 17

"Everyone except Naomi-chan? Is that even possible??" Sakura blurted out. "I mean, I get that it's simply a dream, but Naruto literally cannot live without Naomi-chan so how is it possible that every single person you had met— even the most irrelevant ones— were there apart from Naomi-chan.."

Everyone in the room seemed to be contemplating Sakura's words seriously, and seeing this, Naruto swallowed a lump before talking. "N-no need to think too deeply about it 'ttebayo.. like Sakura said: It's just a dream..."

Soon after, everyone in the room decided to let the topic go and instead started doing their routine. Though the extroverted blonde cannot function as properly as he normally does, it might be because of how scary and terrifying the world from his dream was. His heart ached for the 'him' from that world. A lonely and helpless boy who was forced to live alone in an aquarium full of monsters, who cannot find peace even as he grew up and had his own family. Different kinds of monsters, and deep down, the version of him from that world believed that he was one of those heartless beings as well.

Naruto simply cannot think of what he'll be without his dearest twin, there is simply no life without Naomi. The blonde clasped his hands to every deity he could think of and prayed for his sister's well being. Naruto thanked himself for getting a little help from Shikamaru before he had set off for this mission. He hoped that the Nara will be able to ensure Naomi's safety from her sleepwalking habits...

Naruto had these thoughts running in his head even as he went to a forest nearby to train while awaiting for the day they'll go back home. He was able to last for a few hours before his body gave up on him and he fell into a slumber.

Though it was immediately cut short when a calm voice, seemingly from a girl, softly muttered for him to wake up. Forcefully, he opened his tired eyes and carefully sat up, his legs still aching from training earlier.

Naruto groggily rubbed his eyes, "who are you?..." he tilted his head as the person in front of him smiled. "Just someone passing by. I saw someone laying unconsciously and worried if they were alright."

"O-oh I was just resting," Naruto replied with a bashful smile and a scratch in his head. The person in front of him was very pretty that it made him a little self conscious. "Training straight from morning to afternoon really wasn't smart of me.."

"I recognize that headband, are you perhaps a leaf ninja?" The person asked, their voice as calm as ever. Naruto's heart swelled with recognition, "Exactly!"

"Why are you training? For what do you train?"

It was the question that always pumped Naruto up, it always let him be reminded of his goals, be reminded of who he is fighting for and what he's trying to prove. Although quite a random and unusual question from a stranger, he, nevertheless, responded with a cheery attitude.

"I want to be strong! Strong enough to make everyone in the village finally accept me, and reliable enough to be able to help my sister." Naruto's eyes burned with desire, desperately hoping for that day to come sooner so that his twin will be able to rest, even though he is clueless of what she's doing that makes her so edgy every second of the day, Naruto wishes for nothing else than for her to ease her mind and heart.

Naruto blushed in embarrassment after hearing the person chuckle lightly, was he too hyped up? "I see, if that's your goal then you better do it quick." The person stood up from their squatting position and turned on their heels.

"W-wait dattebayo! What's your name, miss?" Naruto fumbled in his feet, letting outa small yelp of pain from the sudden stretch of his leg muscles.

The person stopped, muttered a few words, then disappeared in the rows of tall trees. Leaving Naruto confused by what the other half of their sentence meant.

"I'm Haku. The clock is ticking, Uzumaki Naruto."

The blonde didn't know what to respond. He forced his feet to venture back to his and his team's temporary shelter even with a heavy feeling in his chest.

"How did she know my name..."

- - ┈┈┈┈˃̶˂̶┈┈┈┈ - -

"Zabuza is alive."

It was a good thing that the Genins didn't break their necks from how quick they were to snap their head to the Jonin with widened eyes. "What are you talking about, Kakashi-sensei? Didn't that ninja tracker finished him off already? Heck we even saw the Senbon enter Zabuza's neck!" Sakura remarked.

"Exactly, Kakashi-sensei! You even made sure if that Zabuza guy was still breathing or not!" Naruto added with Sasuke nodding in agreement.

Kakashi sighed out and explained. "I did prove his 'death', but he was probably just in a state of near-death." He paused for a moment before continuing. "The senbon that Tracker ninja used has a very low ability to kill, unless it hits a vital spot. Ninja trackers usually take care of the bodies they've killed, immediately and on the spot. But that youth didn't do any of those and even used a weapon merely for acupuncture therapy... Those points are enough to conclude that Zabuza is still alive, and with a very experienced accomplice."

The genins were mum, anxiety rushing through their brain from the thought of having to experience the battle they were in just a few days ago.

"S-so, are you saying that we're going to go against him.. again?" Naruto muttered with anxiousness. Sakura frowned and clenched her fist for a moment before calming down herself, "Sensei, I think our Naruto is still training outside. This one is clearly an impostor." The girl said out loud.

"W-what?!" Naruto exclaimed as he looked at the pinkette with wide and confused eyes.

"Hm why do you say so, Sakura?" Kakashi tilted his head a bit.

"The Naruto we know of is scared of nobody. Yet this one here is acting like a spineless little boy." Sakura clicked her tongue.

"I-I'm not scared—!"

"Don't deny it, dobe."

"But— but I'm not!"

"Oh but you clearly are."

"OKAY FINE!" Naruto clasped his mouth with wide eyes, "s-sorry, I was wrong for yelling.."

Kakashi cleared his throat as he continued acting nonchalant. "Ma, let's all calm down for a while. Sakura, Sasuke, what you both did was not emotionally good for Naruto."

Said genins averted their eyes and muttered a "sorry" under their breaths.

The jonin let out a sigh, "I know you guys are getting worked up by the twist and  turns of Zabuza's situation, however, pointing your frustrations towards each other won't solve anything." Silence took over as Kakashi let his students reflect on their actions. He then looked at the clock. "Alright everyone, get enough rest tonight. We'll be setting off tomorrow, and we're expecting to have another round with Zabuza."

- - ┈┈┈┈˃̶˂̶┈┈┈┈ - -

"Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke, get into your positions!"

The three stayed on their guard as soon as Kakashi's command rang through the air. Mist had yet again blinded their sense of sight and the sound of heavy steps striding towards them rang loud.

It was time to face Zabuza and Haku once again.