Veintinueve ~ 29

It's like those horror movies where the person turns the corner of a hallway, and it stretches endlessly. The further the person walks, the longer it becomes, making their destination impossible.

Well, that's what it's like when I spot Angie. Except, I don't even want to reach the end of the corridor because the last time I saw this psycho killer was at the warehouse where I murdered two supposed pedophiles, all to convince Kay I've got the balls to kill Richie Reddy and not fuck it up. Except that Neanderthal, Kay, doesn't know I'm already holding him prisoner. Oops.

Angie's head whips my way, a cold glare piercing me with a fold of her arms.

"Fucking finally!" she says.

"What are you doing here?" I nudge her aside and shove my key into the knob.

"Where have you been?"

"I don't think that's any of your business."

"We are a team. Everything is my business now!" She barges into the apartment without an invitation.

"Really? Because it feels one-sided."

"How?" She narrows her eyes as I shut the door behind me.

"I don't know anything about you."

"Well, you've never taken the time to ask." She folds her arms.

"How can I when you always scurry off and never tell me where you're going? All of our interactions are on your watch. So yeah, one-sided." I head into the kitchen, and she follows.

"I'm a private person."

"So am I." I open the fridge and pull out a water jug. "Yet you know my dirty secrets because you paid for them. How is that fair, Angie? You say we're a team, but there is no team here."

Her eyes widen. "How are we not? I've introduced you to all my connections, and I let you take the lead on coming up with a plan to present to the Sisters!"

"You think that makes us a team?" I scoff and pour the water into a glass. "We don't even trust each other. Not to mention, I still know nothing about you, aside from having a sister who is hidden away."

"What is with you!?" Angie barks.

Ignoring her, I keep going. "And I don't know what you do on the days I don't hear from you. So you're not helping me in the trust department."

"Why are you being even more of a dick than usual? Besides, you're not entitled to know my every move."

"Then I don't owe you any explanations about where I've been."

"You know I can just have Franky find out for me," she challenges with an arched brow.

"Funny because now that you've introduced us, I can do the same."

"Franky would never," Angie scoffs.

"Franky's language is money. I'm sure I can get her to tell me lots about you." I grin, and Angie jabs her finger in my face.

"Franky is my source. So back off, bucko!"

"Sounds like I've hit a nerve." I swat her hand away.

"Handsome, you couldn't hit a nerve even if I drew you a map."

"Pretty sure I've hit several nerves every time we fuck. I still have the scratches on my back to prove it."

"Touché, lover."

"So why are you here, Angie?" I ask, then gulp down the water while eyeing her.