Setenta ~ 70

The Mayor and his wife head for the garden, where cocktails and appetizers await, allowing Rohan and Jeremiah to approach with their dates. Angie's piece of shit ex-husband and his redheaded fiance don't recognize me at first as greetings are exchanged. I'm cleaned up, in a suit, and on Augusta's arm, so I don't blame him for not making the connection when I give him a knuckle-shattering handshake. Jeremiah squints to assess me, his hand jerking out of mine when recognition hits.

"Must be torture knowing you lose control of Angie next month," I say.

"We'll see about that."

"Yes, we will." I stare him down.

Meanwhile, Rohan and Augusta exchange air kisses before she gestures to me. "Rohan, please meet Miguel Gomez, my escort for tonight."

"Miguel... Gomez?" he says, shaking my hand with his full head of dark hair, light brown skin, and dimples like some handsome fuck. "Your name is very familiar. Where do I know you from?"

"I dated Mi—"

But Augusta cuts me off. "He used to be a doorman at Penthouse, and I plucked him out of the trenches, so now he's one of mine."

"A doorman? Is that how you got those bruises?" he laughs. "Must be a rough gig."

"It has it's excitements."

"But really, Miguel should be praised for his hard work as a personal trainer," Augusta says. "I've never been more sore after a session with him."

"Oh, is that why your biceps look stronger than usual?" Rohan laughs. "Do you have a business card, Miguel? Maybe I can get you to whip my girlfriend into shape for our next vacation."

"Oh, yes, please!" his date says. "I desperately need to lose five pounds for my bikini."

She's already a slender woman, so I don't know how shaving a few measly numbers off the scale will make a difference, but I smile anyway and indulge her.

"Actually, with the muscle tone you'll build, you'll likely gain five pounds. But I promise it'll be worth it when you see how sexy you look in your bikini with your newly sculpted shape."

Her eyes brighten, and she glances at Jeremiah's fiancé. "Let's do it together!"

"She doesn't need a trainer." Jeremiah clasps his fiance's elbows and steers her away. "Let's grab some cocktails."

"Jeremiah..." Augusta touches his arm, stopping him. "I wanted to congratulate you on the conservatorship over your ex-wife ending soon. Now you can move on with your fiancé, and Angelina can move on with her life, too."

"Right," he says through his teeth.

"Many blessings to your future." Augusta turns to Rohan, gesturing toward the garden."The two of you should head out there, too. We'll talk again."

When they leave, there's a pause in guest traffic, allowing me to have a word with the boss. "That was a classic dig at Jeremiah."

"I get my jabs in when I can."

"But why do you keep telling people I'm some sort of personal trainer sent from the gods?"

"Relax. How we present ourselves on occasions like these is how people remember us. Embellishing is like icing on a cake. Don't be afraid to play a part."

"So this is one big act?"

"Not all of it. Relax." She nudges my arm.

"It's kind of hard when I'm still in the dark about things, yet I need to keep my eyes peeled for possible threats to you, Augusta. For example, who does Lucas work for?" I lower my voice since Jocelyn has returned and is a few feet away, greeting a guest. "Because it looks like he's part of your sister's team tonight."