Treinta Y Uno ~ 31

When morning arrives, I drive to Franky’s to collect my treasure, and for the entire ride, I contemplate the possibilities of what she discovered. According to Angie, her ex-husband cheated because she couldn’t have babies. But there has to be more to it than that. The woman is nuts, so maybe he just got tired of her dramatic ass and moved on to a new and younger girl to wet his willy. 

Hell, that’s what I did after banging Angie for a few weeks. I upgraded to Mindy. My beautiful sweet Mindy, who centers my world from spinning out of control.

But of course, right as I’m feeling good about myself, Jackson’s words flood in. Do you bring out the best in her?

These days I’m not so sure. Life has catapulted me into a field of landmines I have to tiptoe around or have my legs blown off. It isn’t safe for Mindy. Maybe I should stay away from her until the danger is clear.

But that’s a worry for another day.

This time when I enter Franky’s penthouse apartment, her boy-toy is in the kitchen cooking lunch wearing nothing but a leopard print thong. 

And I— 

Whatever. I ignore Mr. Magic Mike and head for Franky's living room. She’s sitting on the U-shaped sectional and leaning over the coffee table with her fingers gliding across a keyboard. Her head swivels my way as she pushes her glasses up.

“We meet again.” She turns her attention to the laptop but pushes a folder across the coffee table with her index finger. “Your request.”

“Indeed.”

I swipe the folder from the table and plop onto the couch, causing Franky’s attention to slide back to me. She’s not amused and folds her arms. 

“Relax. Just taking a peek.”

“This isn’t a library,” she says. “I’ve delivered your request, and now you can go.” 

“Sheesh. I get it…” I stand and catch a glimpse of what she’s looking at on her laptop. “Those are some fancy dresses. What’s the occasion?”

Franky shuts the laptop. “I was invited to the Abramovitz annual gala.” 

Breath hitches in my lungs like cat claws clinging to bare skin. It’s the same party Mindy is now involved with, and I still need to talk to them about hiring her. They did it to fuck with me. I know it. Perhaps Franky can give me more insight.

“So, what’s the deal with these Sisters?” 

“What do you mean?”

“How did they become who they are?”

“Google is your friend,” Franky says.

“Yeah, I tried that, but I just get random articles about their family’s philanthropy work over the decades and none of the juicy details about why people bend the knee to them.”

“Miguel, unless you have an ass like Pasqual’s…” She nods towards her half-naked man-candy. “My information isn’t free.”

“I’m not looking for a research report on them. Just thought you might know a little gossip.”

“Even gossip has a price.” She opens her laptop again and adds, “So unless you’ve got a thousand dollars in your pocket, it sounds like we’re done here.”

“What will a hundred bucks get me?”

Franky holds out her hand. “Show me the money first.”

Opening my wallet, I remove five twenty-dollar bills and lay them across her palm. She retracts her hand, sticks the money inside her bra, then relaxes into the cushions, eyeing me.