Sesenta Y Uno ~ 61

The check in Augusta’s hand teases me as every twist in my stomach and voice in my head warns me not to reach out and take it from her. When I accepted the money last time, it felt different than her offer tonight. This time, it would mean signing my soul to her indefinitely. Too bad there aren’t employee reviews I can Google. But what am I thinking? I can’t accept her dirty cash. I refuse to be in debt to her or to dig myself even deeper into her world.

“Find someone else to be your dancing monkey,” I say. “I just want to go back to my mundane life.”

“I had a feeling you’d refuse this too.” Augusta reaches into her robe one last time and pulls out a new check. This one says fifty grand on it. “Imagine how much more you could make if you agree to be my eyes and ears.”

“I don’t care.”

“Do you honestly think you can return to normal life after this, Miguel? Your hands are filthy now. The cartel knows who you are. There is no going back, but under my wing, you will have my protection, allowing you to be untouchable.”

“What’s your idea of protection?”

“As I said, you will be invincible. As long as I call the shots, no one can touch you.”

What if Augusta is right, and my new normal is all this bullshit? What if, no matter where I go, I’ll always have to look over my shoulder for people who want to harm me? However, nothing is guaranteed in life, and neither is Augusta’s word. No matter what, when this is all over, Angie and I are leaving this shit hole to start a new life. We’ll figure out how to live peacefully without Augusta’s help.

“I can tell you’re conflicted.” Augusta tucks the check back into her robe. “So I’ll give you a few days to let it marinate.”

“My answer will still be no. Even if I wanted to take your offer and money, the moment I cash the check, the Feds will probably be all over me.”

“What?” she chuckles. “Our money is clean. There is nothing the Feds can go after.”

“You sure about that?”

“People will spend their lives trying to sully my family’s name and dethrone us, but the truth is, no one will ever have the influence and reach that my family does. Law enforcement has tried and failed time and time again. For every good cop, there are twice as many willing to turn a blind eye at my say so."

"No one is that indestructible, Augusta. Someone is always building up a stronger army and waiting to strike."

"Sure. They can try, and some have come close, like the Italian mob, but they fucked around and found out, too.”

The RICO charge… I think back on Sammy and the load of other mafiosos getting busted for racketeering. He spent twenty years in San Quintin prison because of it. Then I recall how Sammy mentioned wanting to take over the territory again. I rub the bridge of my nose. Sometimes it feels like this shit show will never end, and I’m the idiot who placed myself in the middle like a hot dog between two buns.

“Listen, it’s late, and I’m tired,” I say. “Can I leave now?”

Augusta takes a drag from her cigarette, her eyes studying me. She flicks ash off to the side, her words escaping her mouth in a stream of smoke, “Or you can spend the night.”

“No. Absolutely not.” I rear back, criss-crossing my hands. “You used me last time. In fact, my therapist helped me understand that what you did was sexual assault. So no fucking thank you.” 

“I did not sexually assault you!” Augusta springs to her feet. “How dare you say that.”

"But you did."