Cuarenta ~ 40

Salsa music floats around me, but it’s the sound of glass breaking that sobers me to a halt. Mindy’s back is to me, so she hasn’t seen me yet, and I have no idea what I’m supposed to say. The last we spoke, she was livid with me because I confessed to sleeping with Celia. 

So seeing her makes my stomach twist. 

We must discuss what happened this morning, but she’s chatting with Neal and her friend Nadia. If I go over there now, it’ll be three versus one. I’m not ready for that kind of heat yet. Jackson sits at the next table with his arm around Alma’s shoulders and spots me. We give each other a nod, but I glance around for an escape and see Chloe’s dark bob at the bar. Next to her is Angie, which causes my heart to pitter faster.

The way we bantered this morning surprisingly made me feel like myself again. Maybe that’s what Gwen means about not changing myself for someone and being accepted even when I’m an asshole.

Before I know it, my feet have taken me to the bar, and my hand goes to Angie’s back. “Hi, ladies.”

Chloe flinches. “Oh, God! You scared me. I thought you were Neal, and I don't know how to act around him right now."

“Sorry…” I study her, and despite her hair looking chic, there are heavy bags under her eyes, and her red-painted lips sag. So I place my hand on her elbow. “You alright?”

“Peachy.” She forces a smile. “Gotta act natural, right? That's what that mafia guy said.”

“It’ll be alright, Chloe.”

“Sure.”

“He’s right,” Angie chimes in, and our gazes flash to each other before she focuses on Chloe again. “We’re all going to be ok. You have to trust us.” 

Chloe’s shoulders droop. “Evan isn’t talking to me…” 

“That makes two of us,” I sigh. “But I don’t blame him. These are the consequences. Last night was crazy, and it’s ok if he doesn’t want any part. I understand.”

“Friends.” Angie places her hands on our arms. “Let’s push this aside for tonight, have some drinks, eat chips and guac, and worry about things tomorrow.”

“Then I’ll need another drink,” Chloe says.

I nod at the table. “I’ve got you, so how about you join the others.”

“What about me?” Angie asks. “You got my drink, too, handsome?”

“Fuck no!” I laugh.

“I figured your cheap ass would say that.” She turns to face the bar and rests her elbows on top.

“I’m not cheap, Angie.”

“Well, I guess I wouldn’t know since we’ve never been on a date.”

Furrowing my brows, I lean against the bar. “Did you want me to take you on one?”

“I don’t ask for dates,” she scoffs with a hair toss. “Besides, it’s clear you’re up Mindy’s asshole. She can have you.”

“I’m not so sure she wants me anymore.”

“Oh?” Angie quirks her brow at me. “Did she realize you’re the most fucked-in-the-head guy in the world?”

With a chuckle, I brush my lips against her ear. “That’s the pot calling the kettle black. Don’t you think?”

“No, not really.” Angie pulls away and glances up at me. “I’m not a guy.”

“You and I are a lot alike, you know?”

“Unfortunately, yes, I do know.” Angie faces the bar again, nods at one of the bartenders, and holds up three fingers. He nods back, then continues shaking up drinks. “You like margaritas, right?”